Fig Potting Soil: Pine Fines and Compost OK?

I think one year i poured pink bark on the lawn and ran the lawnmower through them a few time…it sort of worked. I never did it again.

Probably but that is what perlite is for. It’s hard to find good bark. You can use that in mixes, I use a similar product. I prefer small bark chips but the only ones around here cost an arm and a leg. I bought bigger ones and broke them down to smaller size. That worked well, but still too much work for the amount I use. So I use a similar product most of time as in your photo.

1 Like

Thanks. The 3-2-1 mix of pine fines, compost and PM BX seemed too heavy to me so I re-potted in 2:1 PM BX and Perlite. Plan to top dress compost and then mulch and Miracle Gro as needed. My head is spinning with all the possible wrong turns on pot mix. No more figs in pots for me. I appreciate your help though.

2 Likes

Sounds good, any combination will work. On needs to find what suits them and their environment. Some plants I have like to be drier, but most just suck water like crazy. Also I use root pouches, so it’s like a clay pot, and moisture is lost out the sides. I need a heavy mix that retains lots of water.

@Drew51 I put one LdA in the 3-2-1 mix this morning.

3 very fine pine fines; 2 heavy mushroom compost; 1 PM BX (only 14% perlite). In a plastic pot -you think that’s enough drainage? I just bought Perlite so I can re-pot it with more perlite if you think it needs it for drainage…

If there isn’t a bag on the mower,it might be like a machine gun and also difficult to gather off the grass.bb

I use a leaf blower and set up for pick up. It has a metal impaler and that worked great, but it sounded like i was destroying the blower. Loud!

Watch it, it should be fine. Add perlite in the future. But you might find you like it. Figs like to drink. In your zone it should be fine. Water carefully, see how it goes.

1 Like

We can have days of rain so I can’t really water carefully. I’m going to re-pot it with more perlite. It’s a gift to a friend who needs it to be as bulletrproof as possible.

Drew I found a nursery near me that has big bags (mulch bag sized) of fines for a good price. I am planning on getting some Saturday and can give you the price then.

My neighbor got 3 bags for about $15 she said. I also ordered the DE stuff (25# for 9.59) from my local ACE.

Scott

1 Like

Figs in pots seem very thirsty. Mine is in no special mix…just compost/woodchips… and it still wilts in a day if not watered. I gave it a feeding today with watering. It is in a black plastic pot that cooks sitting on a hot driveway.

Should we ever use sand in our mixes? I swear the city here that has free compost (i think its composted leaves) adds sand to it.

You can, it drains well that’s for sure. My containers are heavy enough though. With compost is fine. I have used compost like that before.

Yes, I’m almost out, let me know where.

I started using Miracle-Gro Water Storing Crystals last year. It seems to help during the hot months when the fig trees in pots need twice a day watering. So far I have only needed to water once a day during the hot spells.

Drew, I do not doubt that you are correct about using compost in containers although I must admit I am reluctant to do so. It just seems counter intuitive. I just remembered that I used compost for one of my 60 fig trees last summer but don’t know which one. All I can say is that they are all alive and well.
By the way, beautiful plants!

1 Like

I use pine bark mulch from Agway as is without screening. Most of the pieces are between 1/4 to 1/2 inch. About 25% of it is less than 1/4 inch, so I either use no potting soil or peat moss or less of them.

One of the biggest reasons compost got a bad name is when the guy who tauted the 5-1-1 mix came around, he said as much. Ironic that the opposite is true. So many assumed he was right about compost. Compost is also used as a germinating medium too. It does retain water and even compost if in anaerobic conditions can produce rot. The key is to have the mix free flowing so air can enter. It looks like the bacteria in compost not only prevent the root rot fungus, but actually eat it too. But if no oxygen the fungus can develop. So very fine textured soils like compost were discouraged as they can create an anaerobic environment… It’s a case of too much of a good thing. Use a small amount.
Water is vital to life but a woman in a water drinking contest who won, paid with her life. Another example of too much of a good thing.
There is a famous gardener in TX who has a radio show and says pine is the worst stuff ever. He is so wrong about that. I have not listened in years maybe he has changed his mind? The Dirt Doctor was his nickname.

2 Likes

You are supposed to repot the plants regularly when using compost. You just can’t keep the plant in the same soil for years.

I still get pile of aged compost from tree service. I like the compost and use it for all my fig containers. They do not go indoor like my jasmine or cactus. I’ve never got problem with compost.

Of course if you’d like to be demanding and like to be perfect, you can mix your own potting mix. But I do not like peat moss based soil. Also, I’m cheap. Compost is more than enough for fig plants.

I don’t either I prefer bark and some companies offer pine based potting soils. They are excellent too Fafard potting soils are awesome. Still I make my own and have for about 8 years now.

There lots of good ideas on here for sure.

This is the first year I’ve used a blend that’s completely organic and full of all kinds of beneficial things and also where I haven’t had racoons throw every tree out of the container. This blend I have has just about every organic product, possible… it’s ridiculous.

It is also the best my nut tree (growing) has ever looked and all about everywhere very healthy leaves suffering very little sunburn while still being transplanted this late during the year. I mean you would have to have the recipe… my other point above refers to ‘Dr. Earth’ and that I’m using it in my raised beds and not a single raccoon has dug into them. It’s like a miracle to me. I’m extremely impressed with the tea I make from it too. It smells as similar as horse manure.

Dax

1 Like

I was just about to ask about fir/hemlock blends, 'cause that’s what Pacific Topsoils sells. I checked your location and see that you are in Seattle too.

1 Like

That’s a useful video … shows the how a good-draining media can also be totally water-logged.