Fig problem!

This fig tree shown below was just recently put into the greenhouse and developed this oozing red sap, dieback, and change of color to the wood. This has happened to a few of my trees in the greenhouse already so I had to cut them back severely. I thought it was a more isolated incident, but the one below developed this in a matter of a week. Some of my fig trees look fine, others the leaves are a coming in a little weak. I suspect it must have something to do with the potting mix or growing conditions in the greenhouse.

1 Like

Has the fig tree been frozen this winter?

1 Like

I’m also curious if it has frozen. And do you get Ambrosia beetles?

@AaronN @fruitnut

By frozen do you mean dormant? If so yes it has been dormant. It was opening up too soon so before freezing temps came I moved it and many others into the greenhouse. It appeared perfectly normal before I placed it in the greenhouse. As for the beetle question, I have never heard of that species.

1 Like

Figs will regularly go dormant in places with winter weather. But the wood doesn’t always freeze. If the wood freezes it can be damaged and it might result in dieback, maybe something like the sap you’re seeing.
Ambrosia beetles bore into trees and cause all kinds of problems. Borers sometimes cause sap flow in fruit trees. I’m not familiar with other borers in figs.

That soil seems to be pulling away from the pot’s edges.Is there enough moisture?

This particular tree was dug up which is why it appears that way, but it has happened to some of my potted trees too.

1 Like

All of the potted ones were in the garage for majority of the winter, so I don’t think they would get to the point of freezing the wood.

Could be sunburned?

Is it still spreading to other previously unaffected trees? @JeremiahT Do you think this could be some sort of blight?

It was exposed to outside sunlight previously, could it still burn in the greenhouse?

Shothole borers would look like there are toothpicks sticking out of the wood, which is sawdust that the borers create from the trees.

I am wondering if maybe something could have been chewing on them. Some rodents will chew on fig trees, and on pomegranate bushes.

Doesn’t look like web blight, which I get on figs sometimes. Looks cultural. The way it’s burning the outer leaf margins looks like it could be chemical. Maybe fertilizer or spray burn? Could indeed have something to do with the medium. Of course, can’t rule out some sort of pathogen—especially considering the dieback and ooze.

2 Likes

What are the temperatures in your greenhouse?