Figs 2018

It’s not in a protected location, but it fruits profusely
after regrowing. It’s a main crop fig.

1 Like

I will let everyone know how little I understand about figs when I say this but when my CH swelled and ripened they were big enough to suit me. Last year I failed to water them as little first year plants and the figlets turned purple but were tiny, the size of a marble

2 Likes

NdB as been a beast of a grower in ground, I’m grafting them over to Dalmatie. 2 have been in ground for 3 years, and I think I finally saw a couple branches with fruit but am not getting my hopes up that they will have time to ripen. 3 more that were planted 2 years ago have been budded and pruned already.

2 Likes

I have a few questions about Osborne Prolific.

1. One of my sons read that it will produce in the shade (which he has a lot of, and he loves figs). I’m wondering if anyone has information about this - either, if this is true, or, if others are better at producing in the shade.
  2. He then asked if ‘my people’ (referring to y’all who I refer to in conversation as expert growers) would have any wood available for propagating said ‘shade producing’ figs.
1 Like

I have Osborne Prolific, and while I can’t answer your shade question,my in ground plant has many many rooted suckers I could pop out and send you in a month or so. Malta black can make fruit in part shade, most early ripening varieties can do it too.
I don’t know about figs making fruit in full shade, seems unlikely unless you are in zone 8+…

1 Like

I don’t know if it would grow in the shade? Probably would not fruit, or not be that good. Figs seem to handle full day sun here, seem to produce the best figs in full sun. I have some in half day of sun and they do produce.
I have this one. I did trim it back this spring for grafts of other cultivars. So not a lot of wood.
This one has a unique taste and must be dead ripe like all figs for best flavor. Big figs too!
To me it has a creamy (low seed crunch), caramel flavor. Very good! It took a few years to produce the best tasting figs. The first couple years they were rather bland. The last two they have been much better.

Well alrighty then…
We are in zone 7b-8a and I should have said partial shade - he does get some sun. He’ll be excited about Malta Black. Forwarding this info to him.
I’m trying to steer him away from winding up on figs.com and getting burned.

Whoops. I meant figcuttings.com. Sorry.

We thank you for your offer Jesse.
He would love to take you up on your offer. I am happy to pay for the figs, postage and packaging. I will PM you.
Our part of VA is heavily wooded and neighbor’s trees can get tall and effect your growing area. He does have some sun, though.
Thanks again.

2 Likes

We have had so much rain including from last Mon to Fri. It either, pouring rain, drizzles all day, damp or cloudy, all 5 days.

My first figs from Paradiso and Altreano were large and moldy, very ugly.

Today, I saw my2nd Altreano splitted. It was huge.

My first VdB also cracked.

1 Like

They will go sour real quick even when they are not ripen and very plain tasting with all that rain water in them. I tossed away about 60 figs.

Tony

1 Like

You are right, Tony. Sour and tosser.

1 Like

Because of all the rain and overcast weather the last 10 days, I moved my figs to the basement under growing lights, and a couple of days ago I ate fantastic RDB and Red Lebanese Bekaa Valley…

2 Likes

I am not interested in dragging 10 heavy potted figs in and out of my garage, partly due to my recent back spasms and partly because there are several factors needed to be right to get good tasting potted figs where I live. Other fruit are more worthy of my effort.

1 Like

For me, figs are turning to be among my best fruits and they are worthy the extra effort… Right now I have 5 plants in 5 gal containers, so it’s not much effort. We’ll see in a couple of years how many plants I will end up with and how I will feel about it :blush:

2 Likes

My CH are about finished for the season but it has been dry here so these are sweeter. I am looking forward to next years already.

5 Likes

Glad you like it. On a dry year, my HC is excellent. This year is too wet. After these last five days of rain and dampness, we have had a couple of sunny day. My figs have ballooned up and many split :grimacing:

My potted CH is ripening. The one inground has not. So far, mildy sweet only.

1 Like

Those figs look good, just how you want them. I had a Jurupa today which is not that common. It’s about the 5th one this year, and each fig is a little better. From descriptions I read it’s just OK, but I’m liking it. It’s a green fig with slightly amber to red interior. The redder the interior the better tasting. Today’s was great!
I swear they are getting better with age. My oldest trees produce some nice figs. When a first time fig produces a good fig, it’s only going to get better. Jurupa is a first year.
De la Plata is almost ripe, and the figs are bell shaped with a concave bottom. Very different looking figs. Yesterday I had a Salem Dark and it was excellent. A Mt. Etna type.
It’s nice to have the figs now, not a whole lot going on besides raspberries, and I still have Indian Free Peaches to harvest.

Luckily it’s been dry here. We actually need water badly. For those of you with a lot of rain try drying the figs, it works and they will taste excellent.

3 Likes

That makes a lot of sense because you’re removing excess water.

I could search for an answer but maybe a quick response will be easier. When you guys dry figs do you cut them in half or dry them whole or cut them some other way?

Dax

1 Like

In Turkey and elsewhere they sun dry them whole. I myself cut them in half, like the way most display figs here in photos. I like to dry them at a lower heat because often the skin becomes tough. Slow drying seems to negate that to some extend. I use a cheap circular dehydrator.
Last year a huge board fell and hit my dehydrator, and I’m missing it. I’m going to buy a metal square tray model, but have to wait till December. So this year I have been giving fresh figs away. I do eat 2-5 every morning when I inspect the garden. I miss those dehydrated figs! I will have to buy some!
I dry them fairly long, not completely dry, and then bag and freeze. You can pull them right out and eat. No water, so they are just cold. You can consume right out of the freezer. They have some moisture, so i freeze to prevent any possible mold. I dry peppers enough they can be kept at room temp.

1 Like