Figs, figs, everywhere!

Jesse,
How do you keep your fig survive outside?

Like Clark, I bend limbs to the ground, pin them down with bags of mulch and cover with woodchips to,a depth on of 12"-16".

2 Likes

My VDB has 52 figs on it. I have an unknown fig next to it with 39. Plus lots more on others. This is my best year for figs.

vbd above

Unknown fig

Some of my in ground figs. Chicago Hardy has the most. The one in the bucket spent the winter outside with these figs under a tarp with leaves and survived. It’s montrose with figs on it too.

4 Likes

Jesse,

Are you going to grow those sought after figs like Black Madeira, Figo Preto,… I am not sure my growing season is long enough for those. I tried to root some with swap cuttings but the specimens I got were in bad shape and in moldy condition so a no go.

Tony

Late ripeners like BM seem like a long shot here. I have late variety or two that I will hang onto as they are robust growers and seem more likely to succeed for that reason.

Yes in Zone 6a I can get about 1/3 of the crop to ripen, I don’t have FP or BM, I have Craven’s Craving. It is a very similar fig, slightly bigger.

1 Like

No where near what you guys are throwin out but here is the Brown Turkey.
May 28

July 22 recently topped it, hopefully figs will show by the end of the month

2 Likes

Hi. I’m really new to figs. Currently looking like I may get a smith and I’m so excited. I am also bidding on a Martinenca Rimada. I have lost a few because I’m not constantly watching it and I really have no idea what these figs go for. I’m slowly learning. How good is the Martinenca Rimada? Is it a must have?

Well, there’s also a CdD Rimada I’d like to bid for as well. Worth it? I don’t have any CdD types yet. Is this significantly different/better than Panache? CdD Blanc is on my top 5 wish list. Should I just hold out for one of those?

Prices are highest at this time of year because supply is low and demand from new growers is high. Late winter into spring is usually the best time to buy plants because there are lots available…

You should really join up at your local CRFG, I know I would have if I lived over there.

1 Like

Thanks @hoosierbanana that makes sense.

What is that group you mentioned? Where do I find the CRFG? And what does that stand for?

California Rare Fruit Growers, crfg.org . They have scion swaps and tastings and I’m sure other things too.

Sounds awesome. I’ll check it out for sure. Thanks again!

I have posted these in my original post where I started some of these from cuttings.

Just saw this post and posting in this one too. My figs are loaded with figs, here are some pictures taken on 07-22-2018

20180720_19594320180720_19595620180720_19543720180720_19593320180720_19540320180720_19591820180720_19541920180720_19524920180720_19551120180720_195112

6 Likes

It’s supposedly the best stripped fig, very rich and flavorful. A lot of people consider it a must have.

Hi! I wish I knew. I haven’t ever tried one but have been told by quite a few people that it’s a great one. It’s on my top 10 list of must haves. Hopefully I’ll win the bid! :slight_smile: so don’t bid against me on this one. :joy:

1 Like

I am not interested in that fig tree right now anyway. Chances are a friend of mine will let me have a fig off his or her tree before I decide that I want it, LOL. There are so many fig tree varieties out there that are great!

I have this Panache that is loaded with figs but I have no idea how long it takes for the fruit to ripen. Any guess on how long is left?

Also, I have a few spots available in the yard. I am assuming I should have this in the area with the most sun?

7 Likes

Those are fairly big, they should ripen in a couple weeks to a month. Wait till they droop, and leave them on a few days more. The riper the better.

1 Like

Picking some breba to kick off the season, Improved Celeste(pictured), Bornholm, Large Negronne (pictured) and a few more ripening with many main crop figs waiting…

6 Likes

So. As I have stated, I am really new to figs. I got a few varieties right away because they were recommended by Harvey C. I had black Tuscan, which unfortunately burned up with our house :frowning: ) black Madeira and Genovese Nero. I since learned that I had GN AF. I had no idea of the heated debate about the different GN’s. Lol.

My question is, which has better flavor? From what I have read, it sounds like GN AF, which I have.

Side note, I keep being outbid on figbid. I’ll figure this out at some point. In the meantime, I’m having a blast learning about and hunting down these figs!!!