Figs, figs, everywhere!

First fig of the season - large Black Jack fig. Last year, I tasted just a few varieties but my descriptions have slightly improved. I’d say this is a moderately sweet, mild figgy flavor

17 Likes

Here is my Florea fig and it is the earliest main crop fig to ripen.

17 Likes

Nice!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

really pretty figs!

Join Ourfigs.com, loads of fig info on there and trade or sometimes just give-aways from trusted growers. Figbid.com is the site they run for buying cuttings. The wonderful this is how easy figs are to propagate and grow especially since you have experience with growing plants.

2 Likes

That post is old Eric has gone on to become the fignator on ourfigs. Not many people have more figs than Eric. He has all the new wild ones. Has the wasp too so can grow any fig. Sells on figbid. He probably has 700 or so.

6 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

:joy: Yeah. I definitely have too many. Here is an assorted plate of goodies from last night

21 Likes

Nice! Those look awesome! Yes I enjoy my figs a lot too. I probably have 100 trees. I need to cull some, which is OK. I will have what works here, fits a niche like early, mid and late. Productive ones too if decent.Also these trees seem to adapt fairly well. Every year my Panache ripens more figs. This year it looks like all will ripen before the end of the season. A flood of figs are about to occur. many new ones I will get a taste of for the first time.
All my fruit has been excellent this year. I just harvested My Einset grapes. Like 7 giant bowls of them.They are extremely sweet this year. The green chili’s are coming in! Time for some Tex-Mex dishes! The blueberries are winding down but the fall raspberries are just starting.

10 Likes

These look awesome! What varieties are they? Which varieties are your top five?

1 Like

You either only grow jammy figs, or your climate makes any fig jammy :relaxed:

4 Likes

Mostly the climate. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

More ripen figs today.

8 Likes

If you can help me
I’m trying to get a few good early ripe figs for the Puget Sound Lowlands.
Desert King is everywhere, but I want something else.
What is the best way to get Fig cuttings to root?

1 Like

There are a lot of good resources on the 'Net. As one poster mentioned above, ourfigs.com has a ton of great resources and knowledge.

You should also look up Ben B’s videos on youtube, he’s in the Seattle area and his videos should help you pick some new varieties. He also has a good blog:

3 Likes

Thanks
He’s really into figs!

Here is my fig with fruits this year, this is second yield this year on this fig bush :relaxed::relaxed: .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9gDYObK1tU

1 Like

Sleeping figs, Christmas day.

With everything going on around here, I had to leave a few in-grounds unprotected this year, including one Hardy Chicago and an Olympian. Supposed to be 12F tonight, and may go lower. So it will be an interesting test for those.

5 Likes

I have an LSU purple, Celeste, and Brown turkey. Would a VDB be a good addition for flavor diversity, or should I go a different route?

VdB would be good, none of what you have are black figs, and it’s an excellent fig! Other black figs are Valle Negra, Negronne , Fort Mill Dark, Petite Negri, Nero 600, and Galicia Negra. All are black figs so you only need one. I should take my own advice! I have all of those except Negronne!

4 Likes