Figs in New England

As others have said, I am trialing Hardy Chicago, Florea, Improved Celeste (need to start another), and a few others mentioned in ground. I’ve heard RDB is likely better potted for what it’s worth, but my experience is only researching the hard fought trials of others at this point. I’m mostly working with 1st leaf and all currently still potted for protection while they are young.

If you grow DK (or any San Pedro type in a pot, protecting it by moving it indoors), do not bring the tree outside until temperatures are reliably >50 F all day and night. What happens is that brebas start to develop in the slightly warmer indoor temperatures. By April, the brebas are starting to grow. If you take them outside in a typical April in the Northern U.S., volatile temperatures will cause the tree to abort all the fruit. If you wait, you’ll ripen the entire crop.

I’ve written extensively about this on the other forum too. :frowning:

My big potted Zumwalt (a DK type) has ~100 fat brebas right now. They’ll be ripe in late July.

1 Like

I grow desert king in the ground and cover in the winter with a system i perfected over the years.

I partially uncover in March and fully uncover by April allowing it to naturally come out of dormancy.

My desert king is 22 years old this year. I have had to hack it to the ground twice and let it start over because I can’t manage it at that size. Its getting to that point again soon. When the trunks reach about 8 inches in diameter I know I’m in trouble and the saw comes out.

Through learning, I’m at the point where I can alternate hacking down sections (treating it like two separate trees ) to minimize years of production loss

1 Like

Bob Vance posted extensively about his Reservoir fig. I think he is not very far from your area.

A very important thing to grow fig tree is to plant the tree near some structure like wall or house. Even some fence and wind breaker help a lot. Open field and even some cold pocket really hurt.

I grow quite a bit fig trees in ground and I can’t wrap most of them. So I’ll have to use whatever method that I have at disposal. I do keep some container plants as backup and for secondary fig production.

3 Likes