Figs of 2022

Here are a bunch of Hardy Chicago and Malta Black I picked from my in ground trees. Some were picked earlier than I prefer but it’ll rain the next couple days, and I saw SWD among them. They’d surely be ruined if I waited any longer. I probably have 6 pounds in that basket.

10 Likes

@ mamuang

I’d put it with the Mt. Etna family. Such as Malta Black, MBVS and a lot others. Bob’s “Reservoir” should be part of the Mt. Etna family too.

2 Likes

Pellegrino and Gino’s Black

9 Likes

Chicago hardy

I actually really like these when plump/over watered like the one pictured here

5 Likes

I can have plump/overwatered figs on any year (and most of the time) because we usually have more rain than not. Even in this drought year, we still had a down pour last week when some figs started to ripen.

Today, it rained all day again. I moved some of my potted figs in the garage to avoid bloated figs with diluted taste. Some even turned mushy or rot.

I enjoy very ripe.figs on a less watered side as they have more intense flavor. I do not always have a dry condition for such a treat. Watered figs, get that too often.

1 Like

I get you there. I haven’t been growing them long enough clearly as I’m sure I’ll have a similar experience with all of mine being in ground

1 Like

It’s tricky to get figs at the right stage of ripeness since I don’t live at my orchard. But RLBV was great over the weekend. Nerino was very good too.

17 Likes

Glad to see your figs did so well.

Mine started to suffer from too much rain these past 10days. I had to move some pots, esp Smith, in the garage.

Last year, Smith was all ruined by rain at the ripening time.

There are always lots that don’t do so well. I can take the pictures to prove it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Cdd Roja and figo preto picked yesterday

16 Likes

How do you rate them compared to I-258 and Bourjasotte Grise?

Preto at its best I think is #1. After that it is close between BG and I258. I do tend to really like BG, so I may put that #2. Cdd Roja and blanc taste basically the same to me and I like them a bit less after eating many.

4 Likes

Fantastic varieties! Where did you source the Nerino? Just be aware that if the people from Caneva hear you call their fig a Nerino, you’ll probably get into a shouting match at minimum.

I have a few Figo Moro da Caneva trees. We had them in our farms in Italy and I was happy to find them here in the States. Very good one to grow in our neck of the woods.

3 Likes

I think I got my cuttings in a trade with Ross. Thanks for the advice about the name. I’ll probably just refer to it as MDC.

2 Likes

Nerino is a Figues du Monde / Thierry Demarquest denomination. Figo Moro da Caneva is an old variety that has its own feast in Caneva, in the province of Pordenone, located in Friuli Venezia-Giulia. :blush:

1 Like

1 Black Madeira and 2 Del Sen Jaume Gran. I thought DSJG would be a greener fig for some reason. It has a piercing sweetness that’s pretty interesting.

13 Likes

Some figs from the weekend

14 Likes

I have finally picked a few ripe strawberry verte figs. Best figs I’ve ever tasted. Blow the others I’ve had out of the water. I was on the fence about whether to keep growing figs at all, but that’s in the past now.

6 Likes

They look amazing, Steven! Did you hand-pollinate those?

1 Like

No pollination. I’ve thought about it in the past, but never gotten around to it.

1 Like