Figs of 2023

Do you mean just the one fruit?

2 Likes

So how was the taste? I have a few conadria in pots and I’m debating whether or not to plant them in the ground. Some reports I’ve read suggest it isn’t very good while others say it’s quite tasty.

1 Like

yep it’s making one fig on one stick! it’s ambitious

2 Likes

I only had one fig to taste and it was something I really tried to focus in on so I can describe it but only having one fruit makes it hard to have a final say. The only fig I have to compare it to that has impressed me around here is Desert King, Marseilles Black VS and an Unknown Etna and I would say it is on par with all 3 of them. Mostly melon flavored with a hint of strawberry. Not exactly the same profile as Desert King but close. I picked the fruit a little early too so I think if I had the luxury of waiting longer it could had gotten more complex. Overall I’m really happy with the fruit quality and the tree.

1 Like

I don’t know what’s up with that plant. It just won’t get going for me either. I’ve been thinking to put it in the ground and see if that changes things. Problem is I want to make sure the fruit is worth it. I have several other varieties that make excellent fruit and I wouldn’t want to take up a prime planting sight with a tree that makes inferior fruit. While I have read the fruit is good who knows where those specimens were growing. I realize the difference between a good fig and a ‘bad’ fig is really splitting hairs so maybe I should just go for it. Or, perhaps, I should go out to the island and plant it amongst a stand of other figs I stumbled across one day.

2 Likes

Well that’s a vote in favor of planting it. So far it has been a really vigorous grower. These were on death’s door at a nursery and I took them on as a project to see if I could rehab them. They had no growth and half the roots were rotted. So I cut off about 2/3 of the above ground grow the and 1/2 the roots. Within a couple of weeks 5 of the 12 had leafed out.

1 Like

I have a small Florea fig in a pot that I got in May of this year. I am delighted that it has set many figs. However, both the fruit and newer leaves have white spots on them.
Can any of you advise me as to what the cause might be, and how to best deal with them?

I don’t know what it is but so many of the fig trees I see have those spots. I have 40 fig trees and at least half have these spots on most of the leaves and some of the fruit. I’ve read that fig mosaic virus has infected most common figs and that it doesn’t hurt the plant, and just looks funny. Don’t know if that’s what is going on with this pic and all my figs but maybe. All I know for sure is that this leaf and fruit anomaly has never hurt my plant or any of the fruit yields.

Does appear to be fig mosaic virus which is just an aesthetic problem. One Green World has a great write about it and tells people not to worry about it. That’s been my experience too. I’ve never done anything to treat it and my figs crank out loads of fruit every year.

2 Likes

Though it is possible that some trees can have a particularly bad case. I would do some research before doing anything radical.

1 Like

Looks like Fig Mosaic Virus.

That’s likely an active fig bud mite infestation. I spray with horticultural oil. About two or three sprays at weekly intervals then once a month after that. You can see the mites with a 60X hand lens. They’ll be heaviest on the newest growth.

If you don’t have a good hand lens there are other signs that it’s active bud mites not just FMV. Namely if the new growth on any plant is stunted and turning a reddisd/brown color.

8 Likes

Thanks for your responses. I will do some research into fig mosaic virus.

Thanks so much. I will see if I can see some fig bud mites with a magnifying lens.

They can be seen at 30x. Not easily. 60x is a lot better. They can be present in huge numbers. As thick as the hairs on the leaf.

3 Likes

Pomegranate’s main requirement is early ripening and may be more important than cold hardiness zone 7 and higher.

1 Like

Here’s my first Calderona of the year. It rained recently so the flavor was watered down somewhat. At least it resists splitting.

All my Hardy Chicago are ripening at once. This isn’t too great since I like an extended harvest for constant fresh eating.

13 Likes

My Chicago Hardy is far from ripening. Improved Celeste and Ronde de Bordeaux first. Smith is starting to ripen.

4 Likes

Moscatel Preto doesn’t disappoint with its early ripening, large, uniquely flavored fruit.

15 Likes

This was supposed to be Capoll Curt Negra but I’m doubting its identity. Maybe it’s a Col de Dame of some sort. Maybe CdDG.

Hardy Chicagos by the basketful.

12 Likes