Figs still waiting for more colder temps

Figs still waiting for colder temps to March into the garage. A couple 28*’s, not enough. 10 day forecast, no 25*. M/P. Preto still got some hanging.

6 Likes

Same thing here in zone 5b/6a. We have not had much below freezing temps and my trees are still oozing sap when I cut them. I plan to wait to move them indoors until after Thanksgiving, if not later. I will check for sap flow first.

1 Like

So, dumb question. What happens if you move your figs indoors too soon? Novice fig grower here. I moved mine in at the first sight of frost (about three weeks ago - too soon, as I’m understanding now). Some still had leaves on (since dropped).

2 Likes

I wished I moved my fig plants inside earlier. Now I see some tip damages with some of my in-ground trees.

So in general, after the first frost that killed all the green leaves, fig plants are ready to come inside. No point waiting after that, no matter how “warm” the forecasts are.

In general, mature branches can withstand to about 23-25F. But the tender branches can’t go down to that low temperature.

1 Like

My inground tree’s? I don’t care about them. I don’t mulch them at all. If you do, it will continue to grow and tips are more sensitive to winter damage. Either way, I doesn’t matter. 8 footers going to get shortened anyway to about half.

My problem in maryland Is that my garage is attached to the house, and insulated, but not heated. Nevertheless, with the temperatures being about 45 during the day and 28 at night, that garage temperature is about 50. And I’m worried that the barely sleeping fix me wake up and start sprouting new leaves within the next couple of weeks or a month, but they will need to wait until April to be able to be let outside outside again. So I’m hoping that keeping them out longer will “whack” them into A deeper dormancy, so they sleep through the whole winter. Moreover, expect that as of the average temperatures outdoors drop my garage temperature will drop into the 40s, hopefully, which should keep them sleeping😬

My garage is usually in the 40s during the winter. Rarely going below 40 and occasionally going to low 50s. The figs and other plants I keep there stay dormant except a few early ones like my Pluots show a little green in March. They do fine in the dark garage for weeks even when they start to break dormancy as long as the temps don’t go to the 60s.

2 Likes

Igarage floor temps stays below 55* or so the roots are not active, not sending nothing upstairs. Soil stays cold for a long while, while outside temps are climbing up in the sixties.

Sitting here with you. After a couple frosts, I chopped mine back to about 18-24”, and moved the potted ones into the garage. The leaves had dropped, but at least one still had sap running. Maybe too soon?

My garage is very partially attached (~8 feet of one wall) and not insulated. So it’s already pretty chilly in there. I’m going to put a cup of water out there to see if it’s already freezing in there. That said, the guy a bought one fig from said he just piled his in a detached shed at the back of his yard, so I’m not too concerned about too cold.

But, I’m a very lackadaisical gardener. Things work or don’t. About the only things I baby are my citrus, and they’ve been indoors for weeks. Though, I’m not really babying them right now as the sunroom is still under construction, and they need more light than they have right now :woozy_face:

2 Likes

I don’t do anything to my ingrounds, till they show some growth in the spring than shortened the branches I like to keep.
The problem with inground fig if the bark is damaged even little during winter months that stock will dry out. Mouse,rat, what not.
This has been a normal fall/winter for my area. Fancy varieties that I grow need better attention, been growing figs for over 50 years. I know their limit, not pushing them.

1 Like