Figs who's got them?

I know we have had few breeding programs. I’m not that impressed with results either. I say that in context of my needs. It seems the older the fig the better. I tried Excel which is a hybrid and many of the LSU figs and find them mediocre at best. Florea fits a niche, but for me it is the worst tasting of all figs, well right near the bottom. I culled mine out.

I had one in my yard too except I live in Michigan what?! Some thought it could be a stray cutting. When I dug it up it had a tap root. It didn’t look like any cutting I ever rooted. I think it was from maybe the dried figs I bought. I would just toss the stem in the garden, hey organic matter! Anyway that was 2 years ago, it has a few fruit now.

I also am growing some volunteer’s from CA. Valley Black, Thermalito, La Joya and Holy Ghost. The latter two have not been proven common yet.

Still waiting for my first fig of the year. I don’t like most early types, and the few breba I have are taking forever to ripen. Almost there!
Pictures from today

5 Likes

I’ll skip the seed growing although it would seem like someone with the patience/climate might want to give it a shot.

I’ve watched how the Japanese grow the square watermelons and the insanely expensive mangoes. They also grow some huge strawberries (red and white types). Plus the Wagyu beef (which ive never tried)…I’m sure their figs are first rate.

1 Like

Fig seedlings do not have taproots like pawpaws and nut trees, and roots do not have internodes which the blanched stem you thought was a taproot did. It looked different because it pushed up through several inches of soil. If you plant a tree deep and pull suckers they look just like that. Seedlings first 5-6 leaves are also, without exception, entire with no lobes at all, which yours had. Fig wood rots quickly, so a half dead cutting that was buried would rot away after expending its energy to push a shoot to the surface. I used to drop cuttings into a trench and cover them with compost, it worked great.

I can take some more pictures of seedlings for you, if you are still uncertain. I’ll even bare root a few so you can see the root system, if you want.

1 Like

I have grown seedlings before, so know what they look like. I got seeds a few times from Doug (bluemalibou). I have some more I plan to try this winter. I wanted to do it now, but have too much going on to care for seedlings.
I figure if it’s a common fig it probably is from a cutting, if not it’s a seedling. This is the most advanced fig on it. It could also be a stray seed from Doug, I just don’t know? I think though I grew seeds after this incident, thinking about it. I doubt it is from Doug. I think I got seeds later that year, not sure though? I’m old and in the way these days. I recycle soil in my beds, so after germinating I could have thrown the soil in there. I would not on purpose put a cutting into the bed it arose from. I was growing sweet corn in the new soil with seed. I put old cuttings in a couple spots, if it is a cutting it escaped my notice.

2 Likes

It has a long neck. Excited to see what comes of it. :grin:

I just don’t want there to be a scandal. There are so many renamed figs out there already… it turns people off. I want to keep as many growers active on forums as possible, because it isn’t easy growing figs, I need all the help I can get.

2 Likes

I understand. I would hope more often than not that people are genuine. I try to give the benefit of the doubt. Honestly, do you think golden rainbow is Long yellow or YLN? I am curious. I know this is a loaded question.

Eric will know by the fall. Plus Richard is doing DNA testing on as many as possible. So a lot of good info coming, though I bet still inconclusive in many cases.
UCD Golden Riverside is another, we know Golden Rainbow is different (and better). All we know for now. I myself don’t care. I have Golden Rainbow and it is supposed to be one of the best honey figs. I’m not much of a fan of them to start, so I have no interest in more big figs that pale in comparison to the other flavor groups.

1 Like

Back to my unknown fig, I have documented all my failures, all the figs I ever tried to root, so if it is a cutting I should be able to figure it out, although it could take years. I have no plans to trade it. I don’t know what it is? How could I?

RGR originated from CRFG, YLN circulates through CRFG. Another question, are Long Yellow and Yellow Long Neck the same? Figs vary a lot, leaves and fruit, on the same tree, but I’ve seen pictures of all 3 that are large figs with pink to amber centers that have some reddish hues sometimes.The leaves I’ve seen look the same, different people all think they are good figs. That’s enough for me. I feel like most of the attraction is the price. What sucks is anyone who tries a high priced variety and gives a less than glowing review ruins the party. People used to distribute to their friends at first, and get multiple reviews before there was any sort of conflict of interest.

2 Likes

I still do. I can’t afford to pay more than say 30 bucks. So any more from that I trade. I have trades for Littman, exquisito and White Madeira #1 in the fall. My last few trades for some time. I want to grow these puppies before I add anymore.

4 Likes