Finally enough green beans to cook

It has been a long time since we had any fresh green beans from the garden. Blue Lake pole beans.

19 Likes

Sooo good! Lots of butter!

1 Like

Looking yum!

1 Like

Some things in life just have to be grown in the garden don’t they!

2 Likes

Yes. We just had these with our lunch.

Wow when did you plant yours? That’s super early.

I just planted our beans about two weeks ago, they’re just about 2-3in high, so it’ll be a while before we get any to eat. Also planted corn, it’s about 3-5" high now, peas and okra are starting to sprout.

1 Like

Looks good. What kind of support are you growing them on ?

1 Like

I started 13 cups indoors and planted them outside on 20230416. The just picked beans were from the first planting. I directly seeded another 12 into the garden on 20230419. The direct seeded ones are starting to bloom. We had a lucky long term forecast without any frost warnings.

2 Likes

I used t-post with wire on top and bottom. Jute cord was used to run the beans upward. A taller trellis would be better.

1 Like

They were very good and I added a lot of butter.

1 Like

Looks great! Started picking ours last week in Louisiana. What are your favorite ways to prepare them?

1 Like

Hope you’re enjoying the fresh beans. We keep our cooking simple. Put snapped beans in a boiler with water/salt/beef bouillon/and your choice of oil/butter. Starting with a tasty variety of bean helps also.

2 Likes

We put up t-posts about 20ft apart with 4ft high, 2x4in wire fencing for the trellis. We tried it for the first time last year, and it was so much better than letting them sprawl out over the ground.

I’ll post some pics of our set up soon. We did three rows of beans like that, and also trying two rows of cucumbers the same.

1 Like

Barely covered mine with water, 2 spoons bacon grease, 1/2 stick butter, salt & pepper, simmered until just right…best green beans I’ve ever had!

Jade bush beans

3 Likes

Looking forward to seeing your pictures

sounds great. Be careful. We can’t afford to lose you.
heart_attack

2 Likes

A heart attack is no joking matter. That you lose all of the heart muscle downstream of the blockage, however, is also an oversimplification. This is, of course, the 21st century, and what prompt treatment can do is nothing short of amazing. A person can be back to tending one’s green beans a week later, and your gardening may be part of the exercise program your health-care team prescribes for recovery.

The key is prompt treatment–the Golden Hour from experiencing symptoms to being in a facility where they thread a catheter up your wrist to remove the blockage. And a key to that is recognizing symptoms, which could include intense heartburn and a cold sweat. The really hard part is not thinking it is just an upset stomach, and just because you have low cholesterol from not eating beans sauted in bacon grease and butter doesn’t mean this can’t happen.

Green beans are one of the foods a person is allowed to eat. OK, maybe with some olive oil and herbs substituting for the bacon grease, butter and salt. The dietician calls this a “modified Mediterranean diet.” So keep growing those green beans!

I am in the Upper Great Lakes Region, and my pole beans (Kentucky Wonder) are just starting to put out tendrils to start climbing.

I have them climbing on tripods of three sticks tied with a rag at the top inside chicken wire anti-rabbit cages spaced 2 feet apart.

What is the thinning recommendation?

Here ya go. Not much to see as the plants are only a few inches high, but it gives you an idea. Three rows of beans and two rows of cukes. Posts are 5ft high t-posts driven a foot into the ground.

Three bean rows on right, two rows of cukes on left.

A row of Rattlesnake beans on right side of fence.

2 Likes

Thanks.