Finding Random Fruit Trees

I love coming across fruit trees, especially in more urban areas. Most recently I found a fig in a historical area by the beach. It’s the first fig I’ve ever seen with stripes like this, does anyone know what it is? I thought maybe an Olympian fig?

6 Likes

If you enjoy finding fruit trees in your area, especially ones on public land, you should check out the following web site.

5 Likes

There are many possibilities for those kinds of stripes. It is not Olympian.

lol! the only entries within 100mi. of me are my 3 made 5 years ago.

1 Like

I hate to say it Steve, but the exact same thing is true for my area for about 40 miles its only the ones I put in. But Nashville has a lot- even though though they are also old entries. So yea, the site isn’t as good as I wish!

1 Like

That is a great source, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

i didnt put in my cultivated fruit. just the unusual wild ones.

I have mixed feelings about the site. It’s a little like those newspaper articles going on about undiscovered wonders!

I have a couple of sources for apricots and I guard them like a favorite fishing hole. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Then you have me jealous, I don’t know of anyone growing apricots around here.

1 Like

Not fruits but on the same vein; I know several locations where I can forage a lot of king bolete/porcini mushrooms The only place I would consider writing those locations is in my will. I know fishing holes are treated the same way.

Six trays of king boletes waiting their turn on the dehydrator.

6 Likes

Post this to ourfigs.com if you want to know the variety! Those people are wizards when it comes to fig identification.

1 Like

Oh no, me neither. The only ones I put in were a few trees I planted at city hall and so are on public land. But no way would I put my trees…I have too many predators the way it is! The last thing in the world I need is some 2-legged ones prowling my orchard for free fruit! ha.

3 Likes

I know a location here where raspberries grow wild. I can’t imagine too many fruit trees on public land here. We have a boatload of fruit trees on private land here though.

I have the location of several nice shagbark hickory trees marked (in my mind only)… locations that I can forage from.

Some are on the Natchez Trace park property… and they limit harvest to 1 gal per day per person.

Wild blackberries grow all over here… plenty of locations to forage those.

I have found a few wild plums in my lifetime but that is rare. The last one i found was here on my property… i cleared a bunch of brush off a ridge behind my house and found a wild plum in bloom there. I cleared all the brush from around it… so it would get plenty of sunshine…

That first fall a big ole whitetail buck rubbed it and actually broke the entire top off.

Dont really find anything like apple or pear trees growing wild here… other than callery… plenty of those.

I see quite a few apples I think must be wild. Seems like they are found growing near roads, and with at least two trunks, and that makes me think they grew from discarded apples.

I get a little jealous of people in Montana, Idaho, E. OR, and E. WA when I think about growing apricots, peaches, and nectarines. Pretty tough here in the PNWet. Disease magnets in our long, mild, wet springs.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

I think we’re pretty lucky in that regard. I’ve killed a lot of apricots, but there are several old, old trees around here, so it must be me! There is at least one commercial peach orchard north of us, even though conventional wisdom for years was that you can’t grow peaches here. Not aware of any nectarines. There’s a thriving cantaloupe operation in the Dixon area.

We don’t get too much insect or disease pressure. I battle codling moth and sometimes add a little sulfur to my mix if there’s much powdery mildew. Haven’t seen any fireblight that I couldn’t just prune out.

2 Likes

we have lots of apple trees on old farmland. most are good only for sauce but a few are worth eating fresh. i put in a contender peach in a sheltered spot this spring. be worth it if i even get a few tree ripened peaches. :wink:

1 Like

Interesting, that’s a strong benefit of living so far north. I just couldnt do it with the winter up there. I guess no matter which climate you choose, you trade one problem for another.

2 Likes

I’m in Alaska. Plenty of apples here and i don"t think anybody sprays anything on therm.

1 Like