Fireblight Clues

In your experience are leaves retained in winter on apple branch tips a sign of blight in every case or only sometimes?

In the past I always automatically removed all such branches down to at least two or three year old wood. But this year I don’t find any blight cankers or shepherd’s crook twigs in these trees, so am not sure.

1 Like

@hambone

No not at all sometimes a late grafted tree keeps its leaves and they turn brown. Make sure to look for cankers and spray everything down with copper.

1 Like

Never, in my climate.

2 Likes

This year many trees had all the leaves freeze on and they’re still there. So that can be a factor.

3 Likes

For many years, decades really, the mummified leaf at tip of apple branch in winter has reliably signaled blight once I take a closer look. Even a mummified apple stem (or apple) hanging on in winter is a red flag for me.

2 Likes

I hope this isn’t always the case. My trees have held leaves a lot longer than I expected. I chalked it up to a hard summer prune due to suspected hits causing excessive growth at the wrong time. I was concerned about cold damage. I guess I can add another concern to the list.

Apparently a FB clue only sometimes.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say these are mummified, just got the season wrong.

2 Likes

I have quite a few like that this year as well

I find the leaves stay on shoots that had extra vigor during the growing season, e.g. a new graft on a big root or similar. I don’t associate it with fireblight at all.

The main clue for fireblight in the off season is black marks on the trunks or shoots. Those get a nice blowtorch treatment if big, and pruned off if small. Currently I have almost no fireblight in my orchard, many susceptible varieties were culled and I am getting plenty of sun in by pruning.

5 Likes

Do you torch the branch thats infected before you cut it?

I just cut and toss in the trash.

For blowtorching just make sure you do one side only otherwise you will girdle the tree. That reminds me, I need to get out and blowtorch all my black knot soon.

3 Likes

That confirms it- I’ve got fireblight hallucination syndrome, seeing it everywhere… call the home.

2 Likes