Fireweed

Wife sprayed ranch grade roundup from the neighbors place last week. And this week it is like spray me more! I can take it!

So she put on the gloves, got on her knees and laboriously pulled it out. Even wearing long sleeves she got burned on the wrist area.

Anyone know of a spray that works or other solution?

It can sometimes take Roundup 2 or 3 weeks to work.

3 Likes

Exactly what are you calling fireweed ?
Species?

1 Like

Chamaenerion angustifolium

I don’t have that here , so
Don’t know much about that.

1 Like

Be happy. Very Happy. Once it is there; it does not want to go away. And when you think you stepped into fire ants or a hornets nest; it’s just fireweed taunting you. It usually comes in hay and straws.

I don’t think it’s that plant.
Chamaenerion angustifolium does not burn the skin as far as I know.

I walked through it, picked it and drank tea from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmGVsXm94Es

3 Likes

The best advice i have for chemicals is read the label.

Round-Up will most likely get there, but there are some limits. It’s slow to act. Temperature matters. Water source and certain particulates matter. On some plants, multiple applications may be needed.

What i recall of fireweed is… there are at least three different things called fireweed depending on where you may be. The one I know of is a Senecio species. it’s a cool season grower. Best advice, keep it from going to seed. Mow, spray it, pull it, whatever. If you can manage to maintain strong turf, that alone will help reduce how it can spread. While fireweed does not exist where i am, i do have some cool season growers and turf (or pasture) weeds. Best advice…keep from going to seed, manage for healthy, vigorous turf to help reduce germination.

If you don’t have this weed, be grateful. If you are the kind who thinks what someone else calls a weed is simply a plant we haven’t learned to appreciate yet, this may be the one to use as an example to refute simplistic arguments.

As to why Round-Up may not be effective as a single application…again, read the label.

Round-Up is not a magic bullet style, one-spray-kills-all application. It’s more a one spray kills most, but certain plants it’s more of a suppressant and it takes multiple applications to reach desired die-off.

It can take time to reach full effectiveness. It’s absorbed into the plant and killed it from the inside out by inhibiting enzyme formation. It’s a process that takes time, and a process that is helped by the plant being actively growing. as such, most effective on warm sunny days where plants are actively going through all the processes of photosynthesis.

water quality can affect efficacy. specifically, colloidal clay can bind with the chemical and reduce effectiveness.

don’t take this as someone saying you don’t know what you are doing…i’m not saying that. i’m laying out ways where the active ingredient in round-up may not perform to expectations.

good luck.

2 Likes

Chamaenerion angustifolium

We’ve got tons of that in the west, especially in cut blocks and burned areas. As far as I know it’s native here and does a great job as a pioneer species. Real important for pollinators and as early season forage for bears etc. I can imagine how it would be invasive in other places though.

2 Likes

We’ve had fireweed -Chamaenerion angustifolium- in the yard and it’s hard to get rid of. But we never experienced any allergic reaction. Pretty in the mountains but a nuisance in town, same as whitetails!

1 Like

Same here. My wife and I have waded through the stuff here and in Alaska and zero reaction.

Googling “fireweed south Georgia” got me these results
Fireweed!!! | Colquitt County Ag Report (uga.edu)

Now, wading through that ^^^ stuff (Urtica dioica) will give me a serious case of burning skin. When I’m controlling stinging nettles, I use Crossbow (triclopyr/2-4d)

2 Likes

“As an insecticide[,] nettle extract can be used for the control of codling moth, diamondback moth, and spider mites,” according to Wikipedia.

That is it. I’ll have to look into those herbicides.

1 Like

I’ll take your nettles.The best wild green in my humble opinion, on par with garden spinach. Just gotta boil or steam the sting out first.

1 Like