First Step: Admitting I Have a Problem

This is out of control…

I will thin better next year.
I will thin better next year.
I will thin better next year…

50 Likes

I’d be happy to have that problem. They look perfect!

14 Likes

Now, quit braggin’ …

:wink:

14 Likes

I wish i had that problem. In live in zone 6 and only had three peaches this year. Squirles took a bite out to of the peaches. An overabundace of water this spring rotted out most of my peaches.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that Happy. Hang in there and stick with it. It gets better as the trees get older. My tree’s canopy is probably 20’ wide now, so I can loose quite a few along the way and still wind up with a lot of fruit. Like you, I am in zone 6 as well, but dry Summers really help me a lot. I’m in a relatively new neighborhood, so shade trees are young and squirrels are few. They can be really difficult to deal with.

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement. Last year i had about 50 peaches. My tree is 5yrs old. I did a conciderable amount of pruming last year. That probably didn’t help.

2 Likes

I don’t see a problem, except that you don’t have enough room to use your saw because the peaches got parked in your shop. Much better to put them on the table inside, I feel like space in the house is wasted otherwise.

Size looks great, peaches look gorgeous, I have no idea why you’d ever need to thin more :sunglasses:

My advice, thin less next year and make some peach wine with the excess…

6 Likes

Dayum. Thumbs up

2 Likes

They’re beautiful. :blush:

2 Likes

What problem? I don’t see a problem!

3 Likes

My mouth is watering, beautiful peaches.

3 Likes

Second step is eliminating your problem

3 Likes

:speak_no_evil:

3 Likes

absolutely amazing!!! Just fantastic. Those are as clean and beautiful as any peaches I’ve ever seen here or elsewhere. You should be very, very proud.

Can you tell us what variety and how many trees and what age the tree or trees are?

The only reason it MIGHT be a problem is that peaches, unlike apples which I’m now harvesting, have to be dealt with pretty quickly. In no more than 2-3 days they will start to go down hill, and then they will start going down faster and faster. Apples give you weeks to deal with (most), peaches give you DAYS. Now you are going to see why I give so much fruit away! haha. Good luck canning or freezing all that before it spoils! But again, you have some incredible peaches there. Way to go!

1 Like

Kevin,
It’s my 8 year old PF-24C tree. I finally picked it clean this weekend. I estimate 1,000 peaches, give or take, off of that tree (there are 600 in the two photos).
I have word out to the entire neighborhood. Taking to work, school, family, etc. You are right, they need to be dealt with quickly.
I usually don’t let that many set. I got a little lazy this year on the thinning.

4 Likes

Holy cow Kevin!!! That is just CRAZY. I also like that you gave me an estimate in numbers rather than pounds or bushels because I’ve always wondered approximately how many peaches I might get from a mature tree. Didn’t know it would be so high. I get your desire to thin more next year but like everyone else has said, it doesn’t look like you need to do it in order to get better quality fruit- it won’t get better than that!!! (maybe a bit larger, but then you get into a debate I have with myself…is it better to have 2 peches that weigh 8 ounces (or even 6) or 1 that weighs 16 ounces? in some ways smaller is better within limits).

I also fear you may start to find getting rid of those peaches to be almost a burden. I remember when I first started giving away fruit it was soooo much fun to give them to people and then hear them talk about how wonderful they were and so on. but after a few years I find people aren’t as appreciative and its also less fun giving them away. Its why I decided to try and sell a few apples this year.

But I’m making it sound like you’ve got a bad thing going on there! Far from it. Your hard work and experience has paid off in a big way and anyone would be VERY proud to have such beautiful peaches. I need a late peach myself and I don’t have any Paul Friday peaches so maybe I’ll look into yours or another one!

3 Likes

Yeah man if you think you need to thin based on all these perfect looking fruit you’re missing the point of thinning entirely.

You thin to help fruit production, or take weight off the tree to reduce chance of breakage. But these all look picture perfect!

2 Likes

Lol… :slight_smile: yeah yalls got a problem… But not me, oh yeah i think i need 5 more trees… Lol

2 Likes

Jeeeeeeez Looooooo-eeeeeeeeeez. Those are amazing!
And what a great pic!

Thanks Karen. Unfortunately, quality was down markedly from previous year (about 3 brix), and I cracked two branches simply due to not thinning enough. A good reminder to do what I already know I need to do and thin adequately!

3 Likes