First time growing asparagus spreading like weed

Few months ago I planted a couple crowns and now I’m not sure if I should start harvesting or just wait. Some shoots have increased in thickness and even exceeded the ones sold in market.

Here it will average 62° / 43° in December/January and February.

Thanks

5 Likes

I let my asparagus grow for a year before I harvested any. Then the next year I picked only a few pieces. I think the advice is to let it establish for three years before doing a full harvest.

That looks like great growth for only a few months after planting.

4 Likes

Thank you, I’m myself surprised. You would be amazed by how poor that soil is. Even pH is > 8 and the water is a bit salty, could it be any worse :smiley:

I’m concerned about this avocado seedling that I’m trying to keep no matter what… Can I trim some spears to leave more room?

1 Like

Where did you order crowns from? They seem great!

1 Like

Asparagus is extremely salt and alkaline tolerant. Some people historically have used rock salt as a soil amendment or top dressing for asparagus as it will eliminate most weeds but not harm the asparagus nearly as much. I would not recommend this but the point is Asparagus is a native seaside plant and salt and high ph are no issue for it.

3 Likes

If I remember well they were from Tractor Supply who usually get them from here: Asparagus Archives - DeGroot

Here they grow all over the irrigation ditches, probably planted a hundred years ago or more and still around. I definitely think you need to give the mother fern a year so she spreads and divides

2 Likes

I will do that, maybe I will just trim the right side to make some room for the avocado.

I definitely think you can trim some of the vegetation near it just leave the main mother plant in tact and maybe put down some cardboard and mulch to give the avacado some space and let the asparagus move its babies away

1 Like

this is a normal asparagus clump but as others have said it is well advanced. A mature asparagus plant (clump) occupies several square feet and gives you many spears. It is never a good idea to cut back asparagus as it is continuously making food for next year’s spears.

2 Likes

Quite right. I watched a back hoe lift out a feral asparagus root once - it filled the entire bucket easily. It’s a whole lotta root for what you see.

5 Likes

I’d move the avocado

I’m very scared to do it, I have no idea how much roots are already in the ground… Those evergreens always scare me.

of course I meant square feet, but I have also dug up mature asparagus, and the root system is a monster.

2 Likes

Well, it does also take up several square feet of surface above ground - and when I originally typed my response I wrote “square feet”, and then later realized that a back hoe bucket is volumetric! Not meant to be a reproach to you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I get my three year old crowns from Andy’s Asparagus Farm on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee. You can Google it for contact info. You can also google the Planting and care of asparagus. I’ve been raising mine for about 28 years now and have replaced most of the original crowns. They last about 20 years. Male plants produce more than the females. The females put out small red berry-like seeds. That’s the distinction between the two in appearance. It takes more energy to produce the seeds; and that’s why the females produce fewer spears. They all like to be fertilized and they like gypsum. I use Espoma for fertilizer. Oh, and I don’t let anything else grow in their patch. Hope that helps.

2 Likes