First Time Order From Burnt Ridge-Review

Thank you…

I got a honeyberry from Berries Unlimited like that 2 years ago. These will go into that same bed and I should see similar growth, hopefully, as that earlier plant.

These plants really like composted rabbit manure and a bed of wood-chip mulch.

Scott

2 Likes

thats all i do to mine except i use chic bedding.

Having been a volunteer tutor to first graders about 50 years ago, and having taught English briefly at the university level, sometimes I find it easier to assume someone knows less than they probably do…and begin my ‘lecture’ with the lowest common denominator among the class. Sorry, Chills, if that practice on an old pro like yourself, rubbed you the wrong way. My apology.

1 Like

We’re good.

I have taught classes myself for over 30 years, starting out at a low comprehension level and working your way up is a good thing. Even with college students one cannot assume a consistent level of background knowledge in simple things like geometric figures. I was shocked this year that not all high school students know that a rectangle has four 90 degree angles.

Also I haven’t filled out my bio like you , and many others here, so you were responding as though to an unknown quantity of knowledge.

Scott

4 Likes

Burnt Ridge order went off without a hitch.

CUMMINS shorted me three trees! (And I don’t see a topic where anyone has previously reviewed Cummins.)

I called 3 times, left a recording once. Followed with an email…without a reply so far.

This happened in a.m. today.

Box was only 2 feet tall…so obviously there weren’t trees in it even before I opened the thing.

Items are all on the packing list, but aren’t in the box. Box says 1 of 1.

So, I’ll see how they respond…….

(Finally got all the Cummins order…3 different shipments)

2 Likes

Speaking of Cummins… First time ordering from Cummins Review

1 Like

Got a gerardi mulberry from Burnt Ridge on Saturday. Looks healthy. About 11" tall. 1 gallon pot. Root system was pretty nice and not tightly bound. Would order again.

3 Likes

I gave my neighbors permission to pile their rabbit manure next to my compost pile. It looks like it’s mostly wood shavings with a bit of manure. I anticipate it will be at least a year before I can use it.

3 Likes

the bunny droppings will melt away and be gone well before that (next year) if you get a rainy season.

Rabbit droppings are considered a cold manure, they don’t burn like other fresh manures. (of course you should use them in moderation…)

Scott

2 Likes

Great info Scott, thank you. I’ll just use them as topically applied mulch/compost. Glad I posted, I wouldn’t have known!

2 Likes

I think I’ve probably gotten at least 50% of my plants from burnt ridge over the years.

Black velvet gooseberry-big!

Schizandra-looks nice

Honeyberries and a grape are little sticks but ok

7 Likes

Been ordering from Burnt Ridge for years. Had my first real failure…Kanko Bai Ume. They sent a bent, sad whip and it did leaf out but now most of it is brown. I did order and plant their Shiro Kaga Ume and that one has done great.

4 Likes

Contact them, they will make it right. At least that has been my experience. Send a picture or two if you have them.

Scott

5 Likes

OK just emailed them. We’ll see what happens. Since it is early May and trees are in active growth in my area right now, not sure what they can do for me this year.

1 Like

Well it’s been two weeks since I reached out to Burnt Ridge - no reply yet. The tree is now 99% dead.

2 Likes

After 23 days (and a totally dead tree) got a reply from Burnt Ridge:

“Thank you for notifying us about the problem with the Kanko Bai. We can include a free replacement with any new order next winter/spring.”

Maybe I’m a bit sensitive, but I would at least have liked an apology and a refund. The tree is now removed and replaced with an Oro Blanco…

I might order from them again - not sure.

At least they replied and have offered a free replacement. Some places may have asked for you to “give it time” or blamed it on some other factor.
Granted they want you to buy more items and pay the shipping, and they will throw your replacement in the box with it. Better than a sharp stick in the eye.

1 Like

After proving it is dead. I agree with @Monardella. They should have refunded at least the cost of the plant. You didn’t pay next year, why wait till next year to honor your word. If all these mail order companies focused more on sending out quality products they wouldn’t spend so much time making excuses.

I came to the conclusion that they were only good for potted plants.

I fully agree that there is more that they could do. However, nurseries I’ve dealt with have a replacement warranty, not a refund warranty. Could just be the ones I’ve worked with, but id assume more than half will honor with replacements not refunds.
And a person should have to prove their plant is dead, that’s what keeps people from claiming that their plants are dead and receiving a refund, but in reality they are alive and well. I don’t see anything wrong with the seller wanting proof that their product is faulty.

3 Likes

I agree with everything you said. I’m one of the people unhappy with my order, so slightly slanted in my opinion. They all offer the same warranty, which in my opinion does not amount to much. I bought from about eight vendors this year, so really got a good sampling of who’s who. I did have a couple winners, but most provided some form of disappointment and I would only buy potted plants from them in the future.