First time ordering from Cummins Review

I have had very few failures when grafting on G890. A couple of grafts that failed were from when I pushed my luck with scionwood that was visibly bad quality.

3 Likes

Update. I found G890 did a good deal better in 2020ā€¦all but one graft took out of maybe 20ā€¦I forget if 20 or 25. However, lost a couple to root rot in August. (Wet period).

I continue to be happy with B9. But I guess will have to see if that still holds after theyā€™ve cropped a few years.

3 Likes

Cummins does not have their rootstocks posted yet, but they sent me this today when I asked.

In case anyone is interested.

2 Likes

There goes my order, I was thinking about some G-30

2 Likes

this is an old thread, but didnt want to make a new post. I never ordered from cummins before. anyone order grafted trees from them? how is the qaulity compared to other nurseries. And hows the shipping rates? they seem to have good price, but any mislabels i need to be aware of?

1 Like

Iā€™ve not observed any mislabeled trees. Overall, Iā€™d grade them ā€˜averageā€™ā€¦and 50 years ago thatā€™d be a ā€œCā€.

1 Like

They seem to have mislabeling issue. Every year (almost) they put for sale a bunch of trees that they acknowledge that they lost their labels. Also, last year I ordered a few trees from them (their tree price depends on tree size/caliper) and two plums that I received were labeled opposite to the size listed on my invoice. Also one of the trees had a crown gall lump the size of a lemon! Crown gall seems to be a problem in many nurseries, this year I received a tree infected with it from another reputable East cost nursery!

1 Like

Is there a nursery that doesnā€™t loose their labels? At least they acknowledge it. I bought some peach trees from TS that were labeled ā€œRelianceā€ a few years ago. We got some peaches from them this year. They were white fleshed. I realize that TS isnā€™t the best place to buy fruit trees, but they were cheap (75% off), were a good size and had a good root system. I can always graft whatever I want to them. Anywayā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I bought trees everywhere. Online, big box, local nurseries and more. Iā€™d say at least half the trees Iā€™ve bought have been mis labeled. Every year Iā€™m playing the guessing game with the latest ones to fruit.

3 Likes

All I have ever bought from them is root stock, the first time I got good root stock, and the other time the root stock had poor roots, because of that one root stock died the next year, roots were still small, the other one is doing good, yet I donā€™t know of anyone else getting poor root stock from them, that last time I ordered, I had ordered too close to the cut off date, and the sooner you reserve the root stock the better the root stock you get is, they send out the best first.

thank you everyone for sharing your experience on cummings.

Cummins buys their rootstocks wholesale and retails them. Theyā€™re one of the few places that allow you to purchase just one rootstock, small quantities that other places donā€™t want to deal with. The majority of my 600 apples/pears are from rootstock purchased from Cummins. The only trees Iā€™ve purchased from them are two Montmorency cherries on mahaleb and I was surprised at the size of them, theyā€™ve grown well, bloomed and fruited early, and remained healthy. If not for grafting my own trees to control cost, Iā€™d readily buy from them.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll put in a good word for Treeco. But youā€™ll need to order at least 100.
Fedco in Maine also deals in small quantities, as does Burnt Ridge.

NorthWest Cider Supply will sell small quantities of rootstock, too.

For what itā€™s worth, Iā€™ve had limited but excellent experience with Cummins in the past.

1 Like

I ordered from Cummins for the first time last Spring, so Iā€™ll add my experienced as well. I ordered a Coralstar Peach and a Fantasia Nectarine. I liked that the varieties I wanted were available and on clearly marked regionally appropriate rootstocks. Each tree was about $35, which felt a little on the expensive side but within reason. Shipping and handling for two trees from NY to VT (adjoining states) was $40, which seemed very expensive.

The trees were shipped to me at an appropriate time in the Spring, with email sent a week before to remind me that they were coming. Overall, communication regarding the order was excellent. The trees were well packed, healthy with decent roots, but very small. I got them in the ground immediately, and theyā€™ve done reasonably for their first year. They are still quite small, but look like they are healthy and off to a good start.

For comparison, the peach tree that I ordered from Fedco the previous year was about the same price but with a lower shipping cost. It arrived at least twice the size, with impressively massive roots. It has an extra year in the ground, but is now at least 4x the size of the two trees from Cummins. Iā€™d probably order again from Cummins if they had exactly what I wanted and Fedco didnā€™t, but they wouldnā€™t be my first choice if others had what I was looking for.

3 Likes

Cummins has shipped the best quality plants of all the nurseries I have tried. The rootstocks were far more vigorous than what I bought from Raintree.

2 Likes

Typically, budded fruit trees from Cummins are as crooked as an elderly personā€™s cane.
And Fedco, Burnt Ridge and others have sent me better rootstocksā€¦usually at better prices.

But, they are typically viable (they live).

4 Likes

I ordered a WineCrisp on G.890 for delivery next Spring. Hoping for the best.

3 Likes

The 3 apple trees I purchased from Cummins this year all died. The trees I received from Fedco and Century Farm Orchards are chugging along just fine, though. Not sure if I just have bad luck or what. :frowning:

2 Likes

That doesnā€™t sound promising at all.

1 Like