First time with backyard dwarf apples - seeking input and advice!

I need to buy some of those codling moth mating disruption devices.

Ah yes, I’m sure mating disruption is exactly what he was talking about, so not exactly the detection traps. Thanks for passing this video along to clarify things!

apples for the 21st century:

• it was put together with portland nursery and looks aimed at western oregon home growers. scab susceptibility is mentioned for each type and there’s a section at the end on it, but I think paragraph 1, chapter 1 needs to be a discussion of apple scab: what does a typical spray program look like, is it worth it, and to present the reader with a choice of spray or no-spray, and if no-spray, then the whole book needs to change to be oriented on resistant varieties. we’re lucky to live in a climate that lets us no-spray pretty much everything other than for scab, codling moth, swd/cherry fruit fly, and peach leaf curl. knocking one of those off the list through genetics is huge
  • of everything I’m growing, I think more than half were varieties released after 1995 when the book was published. for example, pristine was named in 1995. this isn’t the author’s fault but apple breeding has been pretty fast paced since the book was released because of the whole honeycrisp trend (crispy/novelty/lots of variety in the supermarket).
  • The author specifically mentions that he’s trying to help older people who just want to pick a few good apples because they have less time to experiment. Personal reports from your exact growing region are huge for that. I know I’ll end up paging through and highlighting the scab resistant stuff and probably selecting a few things to try. The rootstock section was especially good because he had a nice reference for rootstock+scion vigor and named a few rootstocks that are good under summer irrigation (which is almost always the case here). I was thinking of continuing with M26 and M27 for most things and the book was an additional data point in support.
2 Likes