First Year of Flowers

If the weather cooperates, this will be my first year for fruit. Looking forward to it! Dax

Apricot ‘Zard’

Apricot ‘Zard’

Nectarine ‘Juneglo’

Nectarine ‘Juneglo’

Plum ‘Starking Delicious’

Peach ‘Saturn’

Peach ‘Saturn’

Nectarine ‘Sunglo’

Nectarine ‘Sunglo’

Cherry ‘Blackgold’ which has been producing for three or more years.

Cherry ‘Blackgold’

Amalanchier x ‘Autumn Brilliance’

A few more of my trees I’m still waiting on:

Apricot ‘Wilson Delicious’

Apriocot 'Blenheim

7 Likes

You have a nice looking orchard. Are you using a preemergent for weed control?

Thank you. I use generic glyphosate around all my plantings. I have more than 300 trees/shrubs to tend to.

Saw your post this morning with your grafts in the field. You do a lot of grafting.

Dax

What might you recommend for a pre and post emergence herbicide?

I’m familiar with Goal but that’s it. Is there anything a lot less expensive? Perhaps a generic Goal/oxyfluorfen main ingredient?

Dax

I like you use roundup but, do not like having to reapply every few weeks. I started using Prowl this year. It seems to be doing the job. I am hoping a can get it down to two well timed spraying a year.

I’ll take a look at Prowl. I was not happy at all with Bayer’s product supposedly similar to Goal. I had an applicators license for nearly three years and hell I’ve been spraying for more than 17-years and that stuff didn’t control weeds very well per the label application recommendation… I mean I hit it spot on “the right time!” And then I had more three Dawn Redwoods of 13 show herbicide damage (contorted/curled leaves and discoloration of white on some leaves) and a cultivar of DR I selected I lost the entire 2/3’s of the top of the tree… I wrote them. …wrote to their scientific department and explained everything clearly as day and I got a letter back with two or three sentences telling me that the next time I spray I should carefully hold a piece of cardboard against the trunks of my trees & that was the only reason (I had damage.) Even after I explained I have a labeled collection of more than 300 woody plants and Dawn Redwood was the only Genus and species to receive herbicide damage.

I thought they should be aware that Dawn Redwood could be an issue with their formula. They didn’t blink.

Dax

My understanding is that Prowl should just not be sprayed on green growth. The application has to be carefully timed so that it is watered in withing 5 days (ideally by the rain) It seems to be suppressing new growth so far a few weeks in. Ask me how it did in the fall and I can give a more complete report.

Watering it in would be a massive undertaking here.

Thanks for that info. It’s going to be helpful in decision making and I will ask you come next Fall.

Dax