Flavor Gem pluot

Keep a watchful eye out for FS aborting it’s buds. Mine’s were loaded with buds too, most aborted.

1 Like

That’s what I have read here several times, but what puzzles me are reports of low set even with hand pollination. I have six other pluots and will try to use pollens from different varieties in hand pollination.

@jaypeedee last year, it aborted all of its flowers after I hand pollinated it with apricot/aprium pollen. Not sure why, but it was on its second leaf, so I thought may be the tree wants to focus on establishing itself before it starts reproducing. The other curious observation that I had last year, was that I could hardly see any pollens on pluot flowers in general, while my cots, nectarines and cherries had plenty.

2 Likes

This may be a case of not having the right pollen.
It was mentioned that Emerald drop, Flavor Queen, Santa Rosa, and Geo pride work. I have all of them and will collect pollen from all to try.

Do you have that one Jon? I tried this one I think but I didn’t get a take. I may ask you next year for some wood.

1 Like

I didn’t know you had Geo Pride. It hasn’t produced any yet has it? Is it a few branches or a tree?

Just curious, I planted a GP tree last year and was wondering how it grows and tastes. Heard it was both tart to go along with the normal sweetness of a pluot, which sounds appealing.

You have harvested Dapple Dandy and Flavor King. Does either have any tart to them? I have tasted a DD, seemed pretty sweet, but not a lot else, but still tasty.

1 Like

@subdood_ky_z6b here is an older post from @fruitnut

Geo Pride pluot, another sugar high

2 Likes

Drew, I have tasted Flavorosa but I don’t have it. It was rather bland, but who knows, may be a lot better home grown. I got that info above from Dave Wilson nursery, aside from Emerald Drop, which I have noticed blooms almost to the day Flavor supreme blooms. FS does not set well unless the conditions are right during spring, but we always get some, regardless of conditions. With good conditions during bloom it will set a decent crop, but I never have to thin any but the doubles and the fruit is very large and tasty. We like it so much we have 3 trees and the fruit keeps well, like a month in the fridge. Probably the best pluot to our taste, right there with Flavor King.

4 Likes

It is a graft I put on last spring. Patent expired. I put it on a peach tree and it grew like mad! It should fruit this year, 2nd year. It’s about 2.5 feet long already.

Yes I have harvested FK and DD for a few years now, this will be the 4th year of harvest. Yes they are sweet. If looking for tart, which I love. Nadia is good, has a nice bite! So does Weeping Santa Rosa. This year I should taste many more. The pluots are very sweet. I like both sweet fruits and tart, but the sweet have to have more than just sugar.

I had fruit one year of 6 on one branch. That branch had Black Knot. I could not tolerate it in the orchard so removed it, and lost the fruit. The only time it set. It set nothing last year. It has other pluots grafted to it, but I left a branch. It has a lot of buds. I will keep it and hope I can taste fruit. If I get fruit I will be growing out the seed.

2 Likes