Flavor Grenade

@puggylover75, ‘Flavor Grenade’ pluots are starting to come in sweet/juicy/crunchy here right now. Of course it’s a complete fruit and veg riot here with figs, ‘August Pride’ peaches starting, strawbs, late blueberries, ‘Ambrosia’ melons, tomatoes, cukes, peppers, etc, all coming in nicely. It’s keeping me pretty busy. :honeybee:

1 Like

I live about 40 miles west of Hickman, and my white peaches (three different varieties) and Moorpark apricots all have ripened at least 3 weeks earlier than indicated by the DWN chart. I do not know if this year is special, since this is my first harvest (the trees have been planted one to two years ago).

1 Like

Again, I recommend using the DWN charts for the purposes of successive ripening. Fruit A ripens at the same time/before/after Fruit B, etc. The exact week will differ year to year and from locale to locale. The charts work well enough as rough guidelines.

1 Like

Clint - You’re in the San Fernando Valley, right? I’m in Berkeley and my Babcocks have all been harvested. I was a little surprised that they ripened so early but just figured the harvest dates on Dave Wilson’s website were off. I was picking them from June 30 until July 12. My tree is still really young (2nd year in ground) and I only got about a dozen fruit. I wonder if tree age has anything to do with it.

1 Like

Yes, I’m in the SFV. Everything ran early this year, but not as early as last year.

My one lone Flavor Grenade this year.Looks so vulnerable hanging there.Any bets the fruit will mature on the tree? Brady

3 Likes

Don’t know about the fruit but what’s happening with the leaves, aphids?

Yes,Curly Leaf Aphids,for the last two years,this Flavor Grenade is their go to tree. Brady

Finally I have some time to read…lol

The brix on my Flavor grenades are around 20-22 so far. Not very sweet to me but good plum flavor. I haven’t picked any for about a week as I was waiting to see if they would get sweeter but I probably should pick them all because of the rain we just had…damn it! Need the rain…but not while my fruit still hangs. :smile:

Fruitnut what brix do you get on the flavor grenades?

1 Like

I’ve had 18 to 35 depending on how much water they’ve had. With too much water at 18 brix they mature in July. At 35 brix they may crack, too dry. At the right water level about 25 brix they are nice and hang well into August.

Hi All,
I was trying to figure out how to send a personal email to Mr. Clint-but I failed at my attempts. Hopefully, someone can tell me what to do. Mr. Clint, if you read this comment, could you write back. I would like to ask you or anyone who has a flavor grenade if I could get a few scions from you in the fall. I was lucky enough to buy one in the supermarket and I let it sit for 5 days, and I tell you, it was “off the chain” delicious. I rarely buy fruit that I am impressed with at the supermarket, but I got blessed. I ate it yesterday and I cannot get the taste out of my mind. I exaggerate not, it was that good! So, to make a long story short, I would be willing to pay for shipping and whatever you charge. I have some good tasting fruit trees as well. I ask this of Mr. Clint because I know he has a flavor grenade tree that should be mature enough to get good scions from…I have flavor supreme and a 4-n-1 pluot tree (FS, FK, DD, And FQ) I have yet to taste the flavor queen, I hear that it is very sweet and I would be happy to replace that one (graft in its place) with the flavor grenade. I have a Sweet August Plum, Santa Rosa, Burbank (that I am going to cleft graft in the pre-spring season 2016) Sweet Pearl Nectarine, Golden Sweet Apricot, Hale Haven peach trees (3) Belle of Georgia, Elbertas (3) Thanks to anyone who would be willing to send me the scions. I am in metro Atlanta, Ga.

1 Like

Click on mrclint’s avatar. Click on the purple Message button. That will pull up a PM you can then fill out and send to him, privately. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I DM’d you.

1 Like

Thanks so much hoosierquilt! He dm’d me as he stated. I know I need to take the time to figure things out a bit more thoroughly but in the meantime, thank you guys. I learn so much from you all. It’s great to have a gardening family! And again, thanks Mr. Clint, you can’t blame a granny for asking! LOL

1 Like

i checked my flavor grenade today to see how its coming along and it seems to have set fruit on every blossom. Will many of these drop or will i have to thin aggressively? If so, when should i start thinning.

Seems like its going to be a bumber crop for plums and nectarines. Flavor grenade is loaded, sweet treat is loaded but lots of them are aborting, flavor king is too early to tell. Then my franken plum tree seems to be loaded with burgundy, santa rosa, late santa rosa, methley.

1 Like

I have had to thin pretty heavily…I start with the doubles as soon as I can see them, then on to the rest once the reach a large pea size. Of course this is in Southern California, not sure if that makes a difference when it comes to drop.

2 Likes

I thin 90% off Grenade. But then I start early. If one waits some and maybe a lot will drop by themselves.

1 Like

Problem is if you wait too long there is a lot of wasted energy that the tree has spent growing out all of the fruits you thin. I unfortunately don’t have that problem as my trees are young and frozen out this year.

The fruit are much more plentiful this year,could be about twenty.This Pluot may be one that works here in the PNW.
Now,if only they can stay on the tree until late September,without someone or something taking them,I will be happy.It gets kind of difficult trying to hold my breath that long. Brady

7 Likes

You’ve got me a bit worried about my Flavor Grenade tree. It looks like none of your fruit is blushed at all. There was only 1 left on my tree, but it started to color up (and I remembered that FG doesn’t get much), so I figured it was ripe and picked it. It wasn’t really all that ripe, though it was up to 13 brix, so it was OK to eat, but a bit tart.

Any chance this is a Flavor Grenade, or was there a mix-up with the tree? Based on the brix, I think it must be a pluot. Even my ripe plums this year were only 12-13 brix. Though it is possible that under-thinning contributed to their reduced brix and that isn’t an issue on a tree with 1 piece of fruit.

3 Likes