Floerkea proserpinacoides (Hot Mermaid)

Hot Mermaid (Floerkea proserpinacoides)

So apparently this is among the best tasting wild edible greens according to Forager Samuel Thayer (Fruity Mild fleeting heat???). It’s also a very unique Eudicot because it has 3 flower petals. I’ve never encountered this plant even tho I live where it grows. Has anyone tried growing it?

5 Likes

Reminds of cleavers, which are all over up here the last couple summers. It’s fleeting nature reminds of ramps. And it also reminds of woodruff and tarragon. Woodruff and cleavers appear to be cousins and both grow around my ramps, so I’ll have to keep an eye out for this little guy, as I would bet it is here.

3 Likes

Nice! Definitely do, I hope I didn’t overlook cleavers from a distant, imagine if they were this species the whole time :joy: (but I seem to live too north of where they grow).

Cleavers are a PITA and can usually be measured in feet. They seem to like to grow all up inside of anything else, but you see the little burrs on your clothes if you ever get near them. You see one peaking out of a barberry bush or patch of lilies and start pulling; next thing you know you could fill a couple of pillow or stuff an entire new mattress. Those little burrs are one of the glitters of the plant kingdom - you keep finding them wherever you sat down for years.

1 Like

Haha, for me it’s the sticktight beans Hylodesmum & Desmoidium, those stick to my clothing. I’d much rather have them than real ticks who steal my blood & spread lyme diseae. Fortunately around late summer to fall, the ticks go away but that’s almos precisely when sticktight beans form to stick to clothing. I know cleavers stick, I’ve seen them & touched them too. They are edible aparently but I need to do more research on them and their seeds can make coffee substitute (It is part of the coffee family, altho within a different subfamily).