Florea Fig Returns After -9 F w/o protection

This is an example of anyone in cold climates wondering when too late is too late for a hardwood to begin growing. This is a fig but I’ve waited for a Dawn Redwood one time until this same time some 15-20 years ago. They call this the ‘Mid-July Rule’. If (its’) gonna return, it’s gotta by the end of the second week of July or it’s dead. This is a pretty special return since I planted a Gallon fig with more roots than soil (potted for going on 2-3 years) & planted during July for Gosh sakes in the mid-west when temps are in the 90’s and hundreds, ha-ha! What a welcome huh?

It’s where the first stake is near center

11 Likes

I got these for a buck a piece from: Red Fern Farm. You gotta pick them up though from the nursery.

3 Likes

Congrats!

I like this rule since I’ve had multiple things pop-up recently that are hardy to my zone but I thought I lost (eg. Wild ginger, and maypop)

2 Likes

If it waits until late May to emerge each year, will that be enough time to grow and then fruit?

Yes! This one month before Chicago Hardy or any of the Mount Etna’s (types like Hardy Chicago).

There’s another variety I recently read on here. Afganistan or Lebanon or Syria or some name very similar. A full month earlier…

1 Like

https://growingfruit.org/t/iso-iranian-candy-fig/46366

2 Likes

Yes, that was actually my post (Iranian Candy). Very hard to come by! But other great very early cultivars (similar timing to Florea) include improved celeste, Ronde De Bordeaux, De Tres Esplets and Pastilière. However, Florea from my readings online, is the most cold hardy of the very early ripening figs.

4 Likes

Thanks & what’s the story with Gludi/GM171? I have a few rooted, thanks…

Unfortunately, I don’t know much about this variety.

1 Like

the florea you gave me struggled even planted on a mound with the june rain. now its drying up and is growing well. had a cane break off my chicago hardy so i stuck it about 2ft from the mother. now its growing out. anyone want a free chicago hardy contact me in oct. ill dig and send it to you.

1 Like

What makes it more cold hardy? Does it grow a deeper root system than other varieties so it increases its chances of regrowing from the ground? Or does it prioritize lignification over growth?

I read a lot of commentary on certain varieties being more cold hardy, but no explanation for it, just peoples’ personal observations.

Thats a great question and one that I can’t necessarily answer completely. There are a lot of different hypotheses for why some plants, even in the same species, are more cold tolerant than others. It may be sugar concentrations which increases freezing temperatures of plant tissues, it may be water regulation between cells etc etc. I can’t say we know specifically what mechanisms different fig cultivars use to survive colder climates.

1 Like

What I will say from talking to @eboone about Florea; It appears to be a very early fig and also cold tolerant, but far from the best tasting. Not that it tastes bad, just that I guess others are much better. I’m hoping my Florea gains some steam this year and produces by next year. Some of my other first year cuttings are starting to grow figs.

4 Likes