For Clark (pear variety question)

Hi Clark I am in zone 9-a/b. Can you recommend a self pollinating pear that is traditional looking and not hard like Seckel? Thanks so much, Mrs. G

3 Likes

Found Conference. Its a nice pear.

2 Likes

@mrsg47

It might be tempting to grow one but even self pollinating pears produce less than pollinated pears. What about grafting another type to the same tree? Here is a link with some ripening times as I think it would be nice to spread the harvest out a bit.

https://www.apicepiante.eu/en/products/pear-tree-em-pirus-communis-em-rosaceae/pear-tree-abate-fetel-detail

We both know there are many good pears. Abate fetel would be a good choice like Conference there in France. Both really need pollinators for max harvest. I would not hesitate to grow 3 - 5 varities on one tree. Most people would say Bartlett aka Williams would be a great choice in zone 9 and its certainly not a bad choice Best fruit trees to plant in a zone 9 garden | HappySprout

3 Likes

Thanks Clark. It is difficult for me to get scion here. :cry:

1 Like

@mrsg47

That’s shocking I would think a pear farm tour and a bottle of wine for a gift would be all it would take. Things are seldom that simple I guess.

2 Likes

I have yet to buy a car!

3 Likes

@mrsg47

Fireblight and other pests we have are not common there it would decimate their orchards or you could just order a few sticks from any nursery. What about rent a car for a day trip or hire a driver for the day? I suspect ebay would send them!

https://www.ebay.fr/sch/i.html?_nkw=cutting&_trksid=p2334524.m4084.l1313&_odkw=scion

Or try this

http://www.scion-exchange.com/trade/item_list/European%20Pear/

1 Like

Hope this helps!
https://www.google.com/search?q=pear+improved+fertility&sxsrf=APq-WBt2JW4Pt-wmfgoXCJp7Szr7PZde6g%3A1649530145993&ei=IdVRYomkPKDN0PEPwcC24AU&ved=0ahUKEwjJuJfT0of3AhWgJjQIHUGgDVwQ4dUDCA4&uact=5&oq=pear+improved+fertility&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBggAEBYQHjIFCAAQhgMyBQgAEIYDMgUIABCGAzIFCAAQhgM6BwgAEEcQsAM6BAgAEB5KBAhBGABKBAhGGABQxAZY9x1gijRoAXABeACAAYgCiAHCBZIBBTAuMy4xmAEAoAEByAEEwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz

Crawford, ‘Directory of Pear Cultivars’

3 Likes

@mrsg47

Hope you found what you needed.

1 Like

In case you didn’t find a pear tree yet — how about Doyenné du Comice? If I remember correctly, you liked Concorde (which is a cross Doyenné du Comice x Conference), is it available in France?

2 Likes

Clarkinks, reading this thread reminded me of some Delbard nursery crosses made relatively recently. Mostly ‘Delbias’ crossed with classics,’ Passe Crassane’,’ Conference’, etc. Have you trialed any of these, yet?

2 Likes

No, because all of my trees are in pots. Most of my trees are from Delbard. I like them very much. I am running out of space!

2 Likes

@randyks

Saw your comment just now. Passe Crassane did not do well here. It is very difficult to grow. Conference i’m growing now. Like comice or concorde it is very difficult to grow. I’ve only read of the crosses Varieties in the concept pear orchard | Good Fruit Grower
" Varieties in the concept pear orchard

September 2011 Issue

Geraldine Warner // September 1, 2011

Tony Sunnucks’s concept orchard includes two new varieties developed by Delbard Nurseries in France:

Delsanne (trademark Delbard d’Automne)
—A cross of Delbias and Passe Crassane bred at Delbard Nursery in France. The fruit is large and rounded with a dark golden skin. It matures in September, six to seven weeks after Williams and two weeks after Comice. It is noted for its intense flavor.

Delsavor (trademark Delbard Gourmande)—

A cross of Conference and Delbias bred at Delbard Nursery in France. The fruit is large with a green/bronze finish and has a similar flavor to Comice. Sugar levels are above 13° Brix at harvest. It matures in September to October and needs time in storage for the ­flavor to develop."

2 Likes

It is a very large pear and it is very delicious. Not a lot of crunch. A ton of flavor and juice.

1 Like

‘Delsanne’ or ‘Delsavor’?, Mrsg47 ?

1 Like

Have not tried nor seen either of these varieties. They would not be in the shopping markets, they would be too specialized. Bet they are good though!

2 Likes