For those of you who bought from groworganic.com when did you get your bareroot trees shipped

I know the cherry trees I bought are Dave Wilson trees because I read somewhere that newroot-1 is a zaiger patent and that Dave Wilson seems to own the patent. I was mostly wondering because they said they had the trees already there. I don’t mind that they are Dave Wilson trees because apparently Dave Wilson trees are color coated which lowers the risk of getting the wrong tree. It does sound like I won’t be getting my trees until very late December or January which is not the end of the world. I am just eager to get my trees.

They don’t even sell them that long. The first year I ordered from them on 2/13, it was from their end-of-the-season sale.

I wondered how long they try to sell them. Like I said if you want a dwarf Bing or Cherry bomb they are already sold out for the season and preorders are still being shipped out. I think it is like anything this year where anything plant related that can produce fruit is going to be completely sold out almost right away. I remember last spring by the time it was planting season where I am everything was completely sold out.

I would not recommend Grow Organic. Their non tree products are fine, but their fruit trees
leave a lot to be desired. Two years ago I bought three trees from them. One of them failed to break
dormancy, One died a few months after planting and the third is definitely mislabled. They only
guaranteed the tree that failed to break dormancy and I was required to pay shipping in order to
replace it. The shipping was more than the tree cost. Buy from somebody else. I’ll never buy from them
again.

1 Like

Main issue is I can’t find anyone else who sells newroot-1 rootstock online.

Their jujubes have been top quality. Even though they are reselling DWN trees, there is a difference in how much root-pruning (maybe other pruning too, but I didn’t check) each nursery does before they send it. In the below post, I compared their trees vs those from Bay Laurel.

I don’t think it is conclusive due to sample size, but I have noticed their trees have been among the strongest growers (Chinese Red Date trees have also done very well and they also have lots of roots).

At least half of the trees planted before this year (about a dozen) have produced so far, and as far as I can tell all have been true to name.

3 Likes

I have read that their root pruning can be over done in some cases on some daves garden reviews. These are typically on orders of 10 or 15 trees on daves garden so my guess is since they have a flat rate shipping on trees of 30 dollars they fit all the trees in one box. I am guessing that to get 10 tree root balls in the box they may have to over prune them. I am curious how many plants rayrose bought. I am going to head over and see your comparison on the tree roots.

I also recommend topping the tree at planting as they do trim the roots considerably!

1 Like

I got a shipment notification today for 7 DWN trees from groworganic

1 Like

I got mine last Sunday. The funny thing is I never received a tracking number and my order on groworganic.com still says unfulfilled. They must have forgot to send the tracking and update it in the computer.

mine arrived in a huge box, I think 20" square by 5 feet. trees looked pretty good especially the z-dwarf/newroot1 cherries which had really nice roots

I noticed some bark was chipped off on one of my trees but I don’t know how much that matters. The graft was in tact, there was a major root system that barely fit in my 30 inch long pots and the colors matched what they were supposed to. It is worth noting Dave Wilson color coats every one of their trees based on variety. Cherry wise Utah Giant is now orange, Bing is red and Rainier is lime green for example. The smallest root system was on my Bing and it was still decent while just got as big as the rest. I am just focusing on the root system so much because people on reviews have complained about the root system and how they did not make it because of how much the roots were pruned. Something I noticed was those people bought 10+ trees so I am wondering if they had to root prune the trees too much to fit 10 trees in the box.

do you have a master list of dwn color codes?

No but if you ask a few nurseries that sell Dave Wilson plants or ask on their youtube channel they will tell you. I got my information from Dave Wilson nursery on youtube and another nursery.

Just for reference, I just got my order from Grow Organic today. I’ve ordered from them before, the boxes they use are probably the biggest I’ve seen from any mail order nursery. I don’t mind getting my order in January here in Maryland, never lost a tree from them. This is a Honey kist nectarine on Citation.

3 Likes

From what I heard getting your tree in December or January is a good thing. I guess getting it in the middle of winter allows your trees to come out of dormancy at their own time. When I read grow organic does that I asked on gardening reddit and they mentioned that. I guess it is a big box for a big tree. Their boxes are meant to ship 10 trees so I would say that is a big reason the box is so big. Trees ship at a flat rate of 29.99 up to 10 trees so grow organic great if you are buying 4+ trees. I bought 5 trees from them and was going to buy 4 trees from raintree. Raintree was charging 32 dollars or more to ship 4 trees but if you just buy one tree on raintree it is 12 dollars. Not sure how much 2 or 3 is on raintree so I guess it just depends on how many you are buying.

2 Likes

I received my DWT from GrowOrganic ( Utah Giant) a few weeks ago. I need to heed mine which is very challenging. In zone 6a we have temps in the single digits occasionally. I keep them in a bulkhead in a large plastic bin that is insulated and full of wood chips. I worry about them constantly because even the bulkhead gets under 20 degrees. Do you have hints for this process of heeding?

Utah Giant is supposed to be cold hardy to zone 5 and that means it can withstand -20 degrees. I would be more concerned about your roots drying out. What I would do is plant it in a pot or chip away at the ground soil on a warm day.

1 Like

Today, it got very cold in 6a Marblehead, Ma. My Utah Giants are in a bin with wood chips and watered regularly. But even my bulk head was around 20 degrees. Fingers cross that they survived the the cold night. Our ground is rock solid frozen now. I need just about two- three more weeks. I might plant them in an extra large grow bag. We will see.

I received my trees today from groworganic.com… they have a deal buy 4 trees and get free shipping so i did. I ordered last week.

Trees were shipped leafed out and blooming…

Trees arrived with all leaves dead and all blooms dead. Roots were in a plastic bag with pine shavings that were somewhat damp but all roots were dry as a bone with dry dirt attached.

Ive never received trees like that…so no clue if they will live. All had DWN tags.

3 Likes