For those of you who bought from groworganic.com when did you get your bareroot trees shipped

I got mine last Sunday. The funny thing is I never received a tracking number and my order on groworganic.com still says unfulfilled. They must have forgot to send the tracking and update it in the computer.

mine arrived in a huge box, I think 20" square by 5 feet. trees looked pretty good especially the z-dwarf/newroot1 cherries which had really nice roots

I noticed some bark was chipped off on one of my trees but I donā€™t know how much that matters. The graft was in tact, there was a major root system that barely fit in my 30 inch long pots and the colors matched what they were supposed to. It is worth noting Dave Wilson color coats every one of their trees based on variety. Cherry wise Utah Giant is now orange, Bing is red and Rainier is lime green for example. The smallest root system was on my Bing and it was still decent while just got as big as the rest. I am just focusing on the root system so much because people on reviews have complained about the root system and how they did not make it because of how much the roots were pruned. Something I noticed was those people bought 10+ trees so I am wondering if they had to root prune the trees too much to fit 10 trees in the box.

do you have a master list of dwn color codes?

No but if you ask a few nurseries that sell Dave Wilson plants or ask on their youtube channel they will tell you. I got my information from Dave Wilson nursery on youtube and another nursery.

Just for reference, I just got my order from Grow Organic today. Iā€™ve ordered from them before, the boxes they use are probably the biggest Iā€™ve seen from any mail order nursery. I donā€™t mind getting my order in January here in Maryland, never lost a tree from them. This is a Honey kist nectarine on Citation.

3 Likes

From what I heard getting your tree in December or January is a good thing. I guess getting it in the middle of winter allows your trees to come out of dormancy at their own time. When I read grow organic does that I asked on gardening reddit and they mentioned that. I guess it is a big box for a big tree. Their boxes are meant to ship 10 trees so I would say that is a big reason the box is so big. Trees ship at a flat rate of 29.99 up to 10 trees so grow organic great if you are buying 4+ trees. I bought 5 trees from them and was going to buy 4 trees from raintree. Raintree was charging 32 dollars or more to ship 4 trees but if you just buy one tree on raintree it is 12 dollars. Not sure how much 2 or 3 is on raintree so I guess it just depends on how many you are buying.

2 Likes

I received my DWT from GrowOrganic ( Utah Giant) a few weeks ago. I need to heed mine which is very challenging. In zone 6a we have temps in the single digits occasionally. I keep them in a bulkhead in a large plastic bin that is insulated and full of wood chips. I worry about them constantly because even the bulkhead gets under 20 degrees. Do you have hints for this process of heeding?

Utah Giant is supposed to be cold hardy to zone 5 and that means it can withstand -20 degrees. I would be more concerned about your roots drying out. What I would do is plant it in a pot or chip away at the ground soil on a warm day.

1 Like

Today, it got very cold in 6a Marblehead, Ma. My Utah Giants are in a bin with wood chips and watered regularly. But even my bulk head was around 20 degrees. Fingers cross that they survived the the cold night. Our ground is rock solid frozen now. I need just about two- three more weeks. I might plant them in an extra large grow bag. We will see.

I received my trees today from groworganic.comā€¦ they have a deal buy 4 trees and get free shipping so i did. I ordered last week.

Trees were shipped leafed out and bloomingā€¦

Trees arrived with all leaves dead and all blooms dead. Roots were in a plastic bag with pine shavings that were somewhat damp but all roots were dry as a bone with dry dirt attached.

Ive never received trees like thatā€¦so no clue if they will live. All had DWN tags.

3 Likes

I must have made this 4-5 years ago. Back then they shipped in December or January and their end season was in January. I am surprised they are still shipping in April. My end results from them were not wonderful. Their peach I got 1 year just never leafed out and 3/5 of their cherries leafed out and then their leaves curled up and turned brown. 2 are still going today but the gaping hole is still there and widening on one of cherry trees that lived and the other is living fine I suppose. I also hated how they do not confirm shipping as I did not have the alerts to my email via UPS, FEDEX and USPS at the time so it just showed up to my door on a Sunday with no knock on the door on a cold January winter day in CO.

They must have changed policies.

I got an email when it shipped.
I got an email when it was on the truck for delivery.
I got an email when it was delivered.

That is an improvement. Sounds like they are improving. They were the only company that had the balls to set a delivery time for January. Burnt Ridge, Raintree, Bay Laurel, Stark Bros, Cummins all wait until March or April to ship here. Their policy was to make claims by June but you could not make a claim before mid May before. I thought that claim was oddly early too as most places I see have you wait till July or August too.

1 Like