For those who grow Desert King fig

I been growing DK for many, many years, what do I think of my DK. Well next spring will be the final time, no fruit, no more DK. Mine has been growing in the ground, winter kill, no fruit.

Sorry Bob, but the leaves don’t look like desert king.

1 Like

Great specimen! Sorry about winter kill! My DK 40 years in the ground, winter lows of 15-20F. No winter kill.
Leaves do look different.
IMG_0591 IMG_0593

@ramv are you sure? They look like some of mine. Here is mine.image|240x320 image image image in second leaf and if he has complete die back.
Uploading: C156A324-A5B1-469D-B53B-198FC212AFE7.jpeg…

@ramv oops here is one more on same bush

Don’t matter. That tree more than 30 years old, will be gone . Next spring will be the date, no fruit it will be gone.

One problem with growing figs indoors
Mites
I have to spray the figs with summer oil now and then. Otherwise
the mites eat them up.

Anyone here growing or grafting DK?

I got some scions and am considering grafting onto an established (in a pot) Black Mission fig that’s about 3 years old.

Has anyone tried grafting DK onto an established or older tree and is that a recommended path to get fruit sooner? Asking since if it’s going to take another 5 years, I might not do the graft and instead try to root it and see what I can get.

I’m in SoCal - Zone 10 - so am hoping I get both crops for DK.

Grow DK on its own roots. It is easy to root and vigorous. It will most likely fruit by next year.

1 Like

Thank you!