For weenie little twigs; what is your favorite graft

Side graft, modified cleft, bark graft, or if the scion is 1/2 the size of the rootstocks (or even tinier) I usually do a double cleft (and remove one in a year or so if both take). If I happen to have small rootstocks 1/8"…then I might do my usual but just be careful. I grafted to some seedlings smaller than 1/8 last spring…over half took. (They are more likely to dry out from loss of moisture…the tiny scions…but results are acceptable…I just make at least 2 grafts in such case if possible, expecting not every one to succeed, if I have extra rootstocks.

4 Likes

I’ve done tiny clefts on persimmon and pawpaw with success. Split the tip of the branch, very carefully wrap the bud in buddy tape.

6 Likes

thinking about it more it depends a lot on your rootstock too. cleft works on a big range of rootstock sizes and its easy, so not a bad way to go, especially for apples. @oscar if you can bud graft with 1/8” scions that’s impressive. Theres no hard and fast rule. You look at the circumstances with rootstock and scion and usually something suggests itself as being most workable

4 Likes

Maybe it’s no longer called a chip bud. But things that thin i split trough the middle (lengthwise). And use pieces with a bud in chip budding. Helps if you hold the knife and pull the scion by it’s split end trough the knife.

3 Likes

This has been a very effective technique for me as well. Essentially doubles the chance of a take with minimal effort as I see it. The only caveat being you have plenty of scion wood.

3 Likes

That is fairly similar to what some call “mega chip budding” except you are splitting it in half, not just taking a bit off the back side where the it will connect to the rootstock. Here is a thread on this technique and it does seem like it might be a useful way to use smaller wood.

3 Likes

Thanks for the link. They seem to call it “barn door” graft.
And it seems the bark needs to be slipping for that.

What i propose does not need slipping bark. And is just a long chip bud.

Ill see if i can find some thin twigs and make a picture if i find the time.

5 Likes

Here’s a note I made.
…had a short very thin apple scion that I did a very simple bark graft and it is growing. One slice to lift the bark on the branch, one slice on the thin scion, insert and wrap

3 Likes

Of course, if the rootstock is fully dormant, you’ll have a tough time peeling the bark.

2 Likes

Yes bark graft in Spring.

2 Likes

I’ve done lots of successful cleft grafts with very small scions. I just pay attention to the difference in bark thickness, and wrap that tiny twig with parafilm.

5 Likes

Excellent advice.

4 Likes

This subject seems to have been pretty well covered, but I’ll add one thing. When doing bark grafts it seems to help to make a slight angled cut on the bark side of the scion about 3/8" long, and to very slightly shave the edges of the scion before inserting under the bark. I think it exposes the cambium better.

5 Likes

When the scion and rootstock are both tiny (less than 1/4 inch)… i prefer to do a simple whip graft.

When the scion is small and about half the diameter of the rootstock… modified cleft worked well for me last year (100% success)… and it is a rather simple, easy graft to make.

If the scion is small and the rootstock much larger… bark graft.

I grafted several persimmons last spring where my scion was decent size 1/4 inch or 5/16… and my rootstock was just a bit larger in diameter… and i did whip/toung and made sure the C layer lined up good on one side. 6 of 7 success.

3 Likes

I’d be agreeing…except minus a tongue (or cleft or bark) I can’t keep the 2 pieces in place…need a third hand for applying parafilm or tape.

So it’s cleft/double cleft or saddle for me.

1 Like

If made a bunch of pictures of grafting <1/8th inch scions by chip budding.

It was a little to long to post them all in this topic. So i made a separate one here.

i hope that helps.

4 Likes

Incidentally I get as good a take rate using a ‘saddle’ graft … small scion to small rootstocks, or small limb on a multi=graft tree.
90% or so I’d guess. Even as small as the stem portion of a Q-tip.

3 Likes

@BlueBerry, You are a much more talented grafter than me if you can cut Q-tip sized wood for a saddle graft.

3 Likes

I use a fresh blade in a box cutter…it’s all in your imagination…I even have big hands and big fingers. You can do it. You do have to have a sharp blade though…and not be
shaky as you do it.
{If I had one of them ‘smart phones’ that has your life’s history on it, and sometimes your future, I’d take a pictue and post some of those little grafts.}

I didn’t mean to imply it’s my favorite graft to do…but definitely in my bag of options.

1 Like

I installed many hundreds; probably over a thousand machines that required 14-24 holes made by a rotary hammer drill. My hands are not real steady anymore…lol

1 Like