For weenie little twigs; what is your favorite graft

Got in an order with Circassian apple scions. Very charitable. I’d say tip ends. I almost lost them unpacking the scions. It is fair to say they will likely be smaller then the rootstock. What would your preferred graft be here? These look almost an 1/8th.

1 Like

side graft is the best for mismatched diameters unless your rootstock is big enough for a bark graft. for thin scions like that, you need to cut further out towards the bark that this example, but same idea. Thin scions are fragile too so you might go with one long flat cut and then just a short angled stop cut on the opposite side.

5 Likes
6 Likes

I think I can pull that off with limited finger tip removal…lol

2 Likes

I mostly do chip budding on mismatched sizes.

You can easily put small scion buds on way bigger stock. And bigger sizes on smaller stock (although there are limits there)

see here for more and pictures. (this question was asked before in this topic. Might be worth it to read the other responses there)

3 Likes

Side graft, modified cleft, bark graft, or if the scion is 1/2 the size of the rootstocks (or even tinier) I usually do a double cleft (and remove one in a year or so if both take). If I happen to have small rootstocks 1/8"…then I might do my usual but just be careful. I grafted to some seedlings smaller than 1/8 last spring…over half took. (They are more likely to dry out from loss of moisture…the tiny scions…but results are acceptable…I just make at least 2 grafts in such case if possible, expecting not every one to succeed, if I have extra rootstocks.

4 Likes

I’ve done tiny clefts on persimmon and pawpaw with success. Split the tip of the branch, very carefully wrap the bud in buddy tape.

6 Likes

thinking about it more it depends a lot on your rootstock too. cleft works on a big range of rootstock sizes and its easy, so not a bad way to go, especially for apples. @oscar if you can bud graft with 1/8” scions that’s impressive. Theres no hard and fast rule. You look at the circumstances with rootstock and scion and usually something suggests itself as being most workable

4 Likes

Maybe it’s no longer called a chip bud. But things that thin i split trough the middle (lengthwise). And use pieces with a bud in chip budding. Helps if you hold the knife and pull the scion by it’s split end trough the knife.

3 Likes

This has been a very effective technique for me as well. Essentially doubles the chance of a take with minimal effort as I see it. The only caveat being you have plenty of scion wood.

3 Likes

That is fairly similar to what some call “mega chip budding” except you are splitting it in half, not just taking a bit off the back side where the it will connect to the rootstock. Here is a thread on this technique and it does seem like it might be a useful way to use smaller wood.

3 Likes

Thanks for the link. They seem to call it “barn door” graft.
And it seems the bark needs to be slipping for that.

What i propose does not need slipping bark. And is just a long chip bud.

Ill see if i can find some thin twigs and make a picture if i find the time.

5 Likes

Here’s a note I made.
…had a short very thin apple scion that I did a very simple bark graft and it is growing. One slice to lift the bark on the branch, one slice on the thin scion, insert and wrap

3 Likes

Of course, if the rootstock is fully dormant, you’ll have a tough time peeling the bark.

2 Likes

Yes bark graft in Spring.

2 Likes

I’ve done lots of successful cleft grafts with very small scions. I just pay attention to the difference in bark thickness, and wrap that tiny twig with parafilm.

5 Likes

Excellent advice.

4 Likes

This subject seems to have been pretty well covered, but I’ll add one thing. When doing bark grafts it seems to help to make a slight angled cut on the bark side of the scion about 3/8" long, and to very slightly shave the edges of the scion before inserting under the bark. I think it exposes the cambium better.

5 Likes

When the scion and rootstock are both tiny (less than 1/4 inch)… i prefer to do a simple whip graft.

When the scion is small and about half the diameter of the rootstock… modified cleft worked well for me last year (100% success)… and it is a rather simple, easy graft to make.

If the scion is small and the rootstock much larger… bark graft.

I grafted several persimmons last spring where my scion was decent size 1/4 inch or 5/16… and my rootstock was just a bit larger in diameter… and i did whip/toung and made sure the C layer lined up good on one side. 6 of 7 success.

3 Likes

I’d be agreeing…except minus a tongue (or cleft or bark) I can’t keep the 2 pieces in place…need a third hand for applying parafilm or tape.

So it’s cleft/double cleft or saddle for me.

1 Like