How i graft (chip bud) **thin** scions onto thicker stock

This topic asked the question, of what graft to use for 1/8th " scions, onto thicker stock.

I prefer chip budding. Thus i made some pictures to show how you would do that with really thin scions onto thicker stock.

before i post the pictures. I would like to link to 2 excellent video’s that teach you how to chip bud.

Thinnest scions i could find. Thinnest is around 2mm (1’'=25.4mm so roughly 1/12 inch)

The measuring tape is SI (metric)
1cm =10mm
1"=25.4mm

cutting the chip. You need proper technique and a scharp grafting knife. All force during cutting should come from the muscle between your thumb and index finger of your knife holding hand. If done properly you need verry little force and it’s a really safe graft. If “using your arms for force” it could get verry dangerous.

the chip on the right on the white pvc tape. And the slot cut to match the chip on the thicker twig.

chip inserted in the slot

Here you can see, that the “spring action” of the slot, holds the chip in place. For easier wrapping.

i prefer to wrap the top first, with a thin strip of parafilm M.

side

fully wrapped side picture

first graft is done

Picture of cutting the 2e chip.

here you can clearly see how thin the scion/chip is.

red arrows roughly point to the cambium.
Top arrow points to where the bark/cambium separates from the wood. Where it separates is the cambium.

I purposely cut the slot for the chip bigger than it needs to be. Since this is done quite easily when there is a large size mismatch between scion and stock.

wrong line-up of cambium.
(parallel, with space between. Not touching/crossing)

Correct line up of cambium.
Notice top right of the chip, it’s over the “cambium line” of the slot.
And bottom right of the chip you see some wood, thus the cambium line is next to the chip. This means that between the bottom and top of the chip there is cambium “crossing” somewhere. (crossing at a very small angle, almost parallel)

here you see again, that the slot holds the chip in place.

first wrap top and bottom. So you can see if you moved the chip while wrapping.

fully wrapped and next to it, the scion out of which the chip came.

3e example
Last 2 examples where with a scion from red fleshed apple (thinnest scions i could find)
3e example is a slightly thicker scion. But is from regular white/green wood. So might be easier to see the cambium line etc.

cutting the chip. Knife is a bit out of focus. Sorry, was hard to take pictures this close up.

chip after cutting.

chip wrong side up, inserted in slot. So you can roughly see the match.

chip inserted correctly.

wrapping the top first. You see some space between the chip and stock. This will disappear after wrapping.

wrapped a bit more.

fully wrapped.
I wrap with parafilm M. You can wrap most parts of the graft 5 times or more if you want. But i usually wrap over the bud only once or twice.

I hope this helps someone.

Let me know if you have any questions.

20 Likes

:star::star::star::star::star:

6 Likes

Nice job of photographing, good work.

In this situation with big size mismatches I began trying 2 chip buds side by side on a limitid basis the last couple of years. I figured just like cleft grafting with much smaller scion wood, why not double your chances of a take. It also seemed to heal up much cleaner than leaving large gap.

This seemed to work OK, but it is very awkward to hold two chips in place while wrapping. It’s not like I’ve done a lot of bud grafts this way, but for drastic size mismatches it can come in handy.

Not sure if others have tried this or not, but I thought I’d at least mention it as an option.

5 Likes

Your right, Putting 2 chips in the same slot is definitely a good option.

I however prefer 1 chip per slot. The wrapping gets hard with 2, and you have more risk of misaligning the cambium.

If you practice a bit, you can get a real close match between scion chip and stock slot. And there won’t be space/need for a 2e chip.

i haven’t had any issues with healing, on chip buds that where only aligned to 1 side of the slot.

A thing i forgot to mention though. This chip budding is very economical with your scions. Almost every bud on your scion can become a graft. So you can put 2 chips into 1 slot. But you can also just do multiple chip buds grafts on the same stock. Since it’s a side way graft, you don’t need side branches or anything. And thus have a lot of grafting real-estate even on just a single twig/stock.

7 Likes

Really very, very well done. Thank you.

3 Likes

Wow. Outstanding Oscar. Thank you.

Your skill at cuttings must be very good to.

In a perfect world; maybe there would be a small quantity caliper option like at Treco.

2 Likes