Fortune Plum

FORTUNE PLUM,

I got this plum tree and multi grafted a bunch of other plum varieties on it. It has been 3 years now and no fruits yet. I saw some flower buds on several branches. I hope to get a chance to taste it this late summer. Has anyone grows this plum variety and taste the fruit yet?

Here is what Cummins described it " This Japanese-type from the USDA breeding program at Fresno provides an alternative to the standard dark-skinned European varieties. The fruit is very large with a bright red skin on yellow background, firm-fleshed – perhaps the very best eating of the Japanese plums. Clingstone. Does best on heavier soils. Among the most consistent croppers at Geneva."

Tony

Alan has the most experience with it. Mine took several years to start fruiting, its like Santa Rosa in how it takes some time to come into production. I didn’t find it any better than average taste, it did not have near the flavor of Santa Rosa, Satsuma, etc, but I never got a lot of fruit samples.

Scott

It is about the worst J. plum I’ve ever bothered to grow. I have found Cummins to be a terrible guide on plums and I’m not sure why. They were similarly mistaken about Long John as well. It may be a difference in climate.

Fortune is just a big bland plum with a terrible upright growth habit that takes too long to bear.

That said, in full sun at peak ripeness it can be pretty good and the size is extremely impressive, but if you like big balls, Ozark Premier is a better plum IMO. In Fortune’s season I prefer Ruby Queen.

1 Like

Thx Scott and Alan.

I will see how is taste this summer or I may top work those branches to Flavor Treat and Honey Punch Pluots.

Tony