Found a wild growing thornless blackberry in central maine!

me and sharon went to a historical military site along the penobscot river today. as i was walking the trail along the river i noticed a whole hedgerow of thornless red stemmed dark green glossy leaved canes. i thought they were wild black cap raspberries but on closer inspection they were blackberries! in all my travels in maine I’ve never seen a wild growing blackberry in this state! of course i had to take some stealthy cuttings and dug a few shoots as best i could. the fruit weren’t much bigger than a raspberry but the bushes were loaded with the most amazing tasting blackberries I’ve ever tasted!! when i got home, i quickly planted my cuttings and the few sprouts i managed to collect. i sure hope some take! I’m going to make a new patch just for them ! its like i hit gold or something! :wink:

11 Likes

Thornless? Isn’t that pretty rare in the wild?

1 Like

Yes, although there is precedent for it. They might also be feral berries. Regardless, it’s a great find and a fun mystery. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In Maine that is gold but thornless in addition is like platinum!

2 Likes

We have wild blackberries growing along my runnings trails here in Downeast Maine but not thornless. Nice find!

1 Like

i found these at ft. knox state park. the history says this fort was manned by troops from Ct. during the civil war. maybe it was transported there and naturalized? i take the thornless back . they have about 1 thorn every 12in. and the thorns are as big as a raspberry thorn. very tiny and almost unnoticeable. i picked several handfuls of the berries and didn’t get a scratch. after finding that patch i kept a eye out for others and didn’t see anymore. found them on the trail back up the hill from b battery if anyones interested. id like to see someone develop superior cold hardy blackberry from these. this area is in zone 5a but in a exposed area near the river so probably at least zone 4 hardy.

2 Likes

how big are the fruit on the ones along your trails? I’ve heard they were growing wild down your way but I’ve never come across them.

2 Likes

The fruits on the blackberries her in Downeast are pretty small. I’d say similar in size to a raspberry, just like yours. They have a great flavor though!

2 Likes