Found an interesting grafting method - comments

I found an interesting video on a grafting method that I’d never seen before. It’s sort of a combination of a modified cleft graft and the whip and tongue method. The video is not in English, but you can use English subtitles if you want to. Although with the video’s extensive demonstrations of many grafts, I hardly think it needs any verbal explanation.

Has anyone one used this method, and how would you rate its effectiveness? I think I’m going to give it a try, but I was curious if others had tested this method already.

Does anyone know the name of this grafting method?

4 Likes

If you get sufficient cambium contact…most any method can succeed.

6 Likes

While there is probably a more official name, I would probably call it a (size) mismatched whip and tongue.

2 Likes

It looks a WT on one side. If I was him, I would put second scion on the other side

2 Likes

If I was him I would probably use a cleft or rind graft in this situation. No reason to get fancy

4 Likes

I believe the official name is whip and tongue and strap and hope.
Joking, but that long tongue does remind me of a strap graft.

1 Like

My (completely unofficial) name for it is “modified Z” graft (you can look up the Z graft, it’s popular for citrus). I made quite a few of these “modified Z” grafts over a number of years, but stopped because in my experience the take rate is about the same as with simple cleft grafts, but requires more work.

3 Likes

If there is a big difference in rootstock and scion diameter… bark graft.

Smaller difference… modified cleft. I find these easy to do and have had great results so far.

No difference… whip toung or whip if the diameter of both is small.

I have grafted mulberry, pears, apple, goumi so far.

Persimmons perhaps in a few more weeks. I am starting to see some bud swell now.

1 Like

Don’t dismiss the saddle graft or the ‘side graft’…they both turn out great in real life.

1 Like