Foundling strawberry plant identification

Hi all!
I found a little strawberry plant growing in the stone gravel path outside my allotment garden. The area had previously been used for allotments, then dug up, soil removed, divided into new allotments, and gravel put down for paths. So it was effectively growing in no soil, but may have been there previously, or a seed suddenly sprouted. The leaves are tiny, and I think it may be an alpine. I dug it out, and planted it in the soil with lots of compost. Hoping it will live and be productive.
Does anyone know if there is a way of identifying strawberries like this?

1 Like

I’d start with seeing what size and color berries it makes, as well as documenting the time they are ripe. That will get you to Alpine vs June Bearing vs Day Neutral, which is a start.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s helpful. I’ve only started growing a few different varieties of strawberry this year, so it’s great to have a little challenge!

1 Like

I’m going to venture a guess and say native fragaria virginiana.

1 Like

Thanks for the guess! It may well be, as this is oft cultivated land. Fragaria Virginia is not native here (Ireland), however.

It’s probably not that then :slightly_smiling_face: but I still bet on it being a wild stawberry.

1 Like