Frankintree

I’m excited to see that at least one of each of the 8 different University of Minnesota apples I grafted onto my tree appears to have bonded into the tree.

17 Likes

Congratulations! That should be a fun tree.

3 Likes

Thank you, it’s been something I’ve always wanted to do and I believe that this host tree will work out well. It’s an M7 rootstock host.

2 Likes

I planted a 2 (possibly 3) year old apple tree in 2016…it had a M-111 root. It currently has 11 different apples on it if I recall correctly.
To this day, I have gotten 2 apples from the tree…both big marble sized Bakran red fleshed apples. This year 7 Odysso set on it, but birds ate 'em all. (They so look like cherries?)
This tree has 4 red leaved/red blooming apple cultivars, the others ‘normal’.

2 Likes

I have neighbors that like feeding birds ( bluejays) and they like to land in my trees and peck at the apples as they ripen and it makes a mess of them unfortunately.

2 Likes

Looks great!

3 Likes

Looks great! A little hard to see, but if those are blossoms on the one new graft on the upper right, you’ll probably want to pick those off to encourage better growth this year.

2 Likes

I had another enthusiast say the exact same thing on a thread in a fruit growers group on Facebook, I promise I’ll be sure to snip off the flowers. Thanks again for the advice.

1 Like

Excellent! I’ve got 7 out of 8 varieties with apples this year. Last year 3 varieties produced. Here’s a pic from when it was in bloom. Each trunk has 4 varieties.

5 Likes

Nicely done, be interesting to see the tree when it’ bare fruit. Enjoy.

M7 is a nice 8 to 10 foot tree that gets almost as broad. Some cultivars a little bigger.
But it’s not fast to bear and it’s crops aren’t really very prolific. I have some 33 year old ones…and they are on their last legs as far as longevity is concerned. None have ever had more than 40 or so pounds apples per year, and thats the best years, not average.

1 Like

The growth this season was incredible. The scions became nearly the same diameter as the host limb that we’re grafted into. Easily two inches in diameter to be honest. Also, up to I’d say 7 maybe 8 feet of growth with many of the scions I allowed to grow out.

4 Likes

Excellent! Happy for you.

Thank You, I appreciate that. Since the growth was so well last season I’ll probably allow it to fruit this year, in a limited quantity that is.