Free Geothermal Heat for Fruit Trees in Zone 3

15840DF0-FDA4-4791-89C8-52E88832FA05

I hit -41C a few days ago, with 3 days into the low -30sC. To grow peaches and sweet cherries, it can’t be below about -30C at the coldest, or the trees simply die of cold. While I can keep the temperatures to no colder than about -25C with a 100 watt light bulb I plug in, even at -40C outside air temperature, I wanted to try WITHOUT any electricity, extension cords, light bulbs, fans, pumps, batteries, solar panels, etc. My teepees are simply a double wrapped insulated tarp over a teepee frame. They are about 8 ft. tall and have a base of about 4ft. by 4ft. Trees on dwarf or semi-dwarf rootstock are used so they can fit into the teepees by bending the branches inside.

The frost in my area decends an average of 7 ft. 10" into the ground by March 1, but the soil under the frost level is +5C. My thinking is "why not drop a geothermal bore hole down about 9 ft, and see if the +5C warmth will rise up into the teepee via the “stack effect”. No fans, no heaters, no electricity, just heat naturally rising up into the teepee via the stack effect law of thermodynamics (warm air is lighter and rises up).

So far it is working well! Here is the data so far from the coldest days:

Coldest Outside Air Temperature Vrs. Coldest Inside Teepee Temperature
-37C (Dec. 21) but inside the teepee -26.2C, so 10.8C warmer
-38C (Dec. 20) but inside the teepee -26.8C so 11.4C warmer
-41C (Dec. 22) but inside the teepee -29.0C so 12.0C warmer

The hole as per the photo is dug with a manual post hole digger with an extension added. It is 8 inches wide by 9 ft. deep. Will this still work for the second half of winter as the frost goes deeper into the ground? I think so, but I will know in about 6 more weeks. Our really cold potential weather, the -40C stuff, is pretty well over by mid February each winter. Its a fun experiment and so far it is working and I expect the sweet cherry tree inside will be fine and bloom and fruit for me this coming spring/summer.

21 Likes

I find this concept pretty thought provoking Bernie, thanks for sharing. You spurred some conversations in another thread on greenhouse tips.

I know there is a big difference between what those concepts are attempting to accomplish and what you are looking to do with simply keeping a tree warm enough to live.

On that same train of thought, I bet the zone pushers for figs and some other trees might learn something from your experiences here. I would love to see an update on how well this works out for you in the spring!

3 Likes

Fascinating! Gotta say, I am really jealous you can dig such a deep hole manually. Way too many rocks and clay here! Even 2-3’ holes for fence posts are a fight.

4 Likes

I’m testing a similar concept this year. I’ve been curious if something like this would work for awhile now. I buried a section a plastic tile in a U shape. One end being sunk a few inches. I’m hoping the colder air will sink and push up warmer air and then be warmed. Creating a natural convection loop. It’s under an insulated structure and I have some temp probes to monitor compared to one without.

7 Likes

@Travis Why the box?
How deep is it?

Mainly because i wanted a sink for the air to go, and something to staple hardware cloth to so junk and varmints won’t end up in the bottom. It’s a 10 ft section so like 4 ft give or take.

2 Likes

@Travis Did you dig it by hand?

Yeah with a clam style post hole digger. So my depth was limited on how far I could reach. I could probably get another foot or two if needed. My soil is also super sandy so digging is really easy but also crumbles easy.

1 Like

Very Interesting! Any update on how the second half of winter went?

3 Likes