Free Pawpaw Scion wood!

Howdy, I just saw a post on Facebook that KSU is offering free scion wood of Mango and Sunflower pawpaw varieties. Email Sheri.crabtree@kysu.edu

5 Likes

I tried to locate the post that you were talking about but I couldn’t find it. I went ahead and just emailed like you suggested. Hopefully I hear back from her next week sometime. Thanks!

I believe the original post was on Pawpaw Fanatics.

1 Like

Just wondered if anyone else signed up for the free KSU pawpaw wood, and if so did you get it, and how did it look.

I sent a request via the email on this point back in February. I just got my wood today and its a complete and total failure. It took it 8 days to get here (I’m about 150 miles from KSU!!!). It had nothing whatsoever to keep it moist- no damp paper towels or newspaper, etc. Nice thick wood might have been ok for 9 days in a baggie, but these sticks were TINY. One bag (I forget which) every single stick was only 3 inches long (3 INCHES!!! really) and not much thicker than a pipe cleaner…just SUPER thin. The other bag had 4 inch wood that was still thinner than I’d send someone but probably usable before 9 days of no moisture and no refrigeration.

I don’t mean to be critical. The wood was free, so I shouldn’t complain. But it was a total waist. Simple scratch tests showed its that pale yellow color of dead wood. Its a great idea for them to try to spread around paw paw varieties and do it for free, but you’d think one of the leading pawpaw institutions in the world could send better wood in better condition.

4 Likes

I requested some and it arrived early last month, I believe. It was still plenty cold outside and KSU isn’t all that far from me. It looked fine to me, but I didn’t inspect it too closely, I just wrapped it in cling wrap like I wrap all of my scion wood and stuck it in the fridge in my scion bag.

3 Likes

Did you do a scratch test to see if the wood was still viable?

OK Ryan…I think you need to reread my post above! hahahah Maybe if I did’t write such giant posts people could actually retain what they say…so its all good.

But yea, like I said, did the scratch test and its that pale yellow almost brown color you find when a tree has died a few weeks before. So…useless wood. too bad!

2 Likes