Free Wood Chips (Chipdrop.com)

This post got the conversation about growing mushroom started again. Lions mane . Last year I bought a spawn bag of WineCaps and spread them though dyed wood chips from home depot with nothing but failure. Inspired again I bought some liquid spawn and though about where I could get some plain old chopped up trees. Searching for Arborist wood chips lead me to discover chipdrop.com. And there program of connecting gardeners with all the wood chips you take.

The is a video Chipdrop posted

This is what I got today 3 days after placing my request.

I got a call this morning informing me the chips where on the way. I got an email about the same time saying the chips would be there with in 48 hours, and finaly I got this surprise when I went outside a few minutes ago.

Anyways I got my brand new pressure cooker ready to make a few spawn bags and I think I might order some premade spawn.

12 Likes

That looks like a pretty big pile. Is about what you expected? I see you can’t request a certain amount and it might be as much as 15 yards. I’d try it if I could say no more than 5 yards maybe.

But with a bigger property that would be awesome.

3 Likes

I think I was expecting 1/3 the amount. I am thank full that when he called he said he was coming with the small truck not the large one.

That pile is huge and it going to take forever to move. I am sure I will have more then 2/3 - 3/4 remaining after I am done spreading it.

Chipdrop just send me another email suggesting I post on craigslist if I have to much.

1 Like

How long did you have to wait after getting on their list? Did you choose to pay a drop fee?

1 Like

That seems like a decent service if one is not too picky on amount and contents. I live in a less populated area, and happen to know a few arborists who keep a few piles on their own property to use in their gardens and orchards, which works out for me, but it seems like it may b a better route to go to a jobsite where these guys are chipping and see about getting them to drop off a load. Time is money, and if they have to drive further to their dump site or even have to pay, its more adventageous for them to just drop it at your house.

2 Likes

3 days and I did not pay the drop fee(tip).

1 Like

I’ve been on their list for months and haven’t received anything.

4 Likes

From ChipDrop’s website:

Each delivery is about 20 cubic yards. You must take the entire dump truck load.

It looks like you got a small load. 20 cubic yards is a lot.

2 Likes

Like with everything location matters. You might want to compile a list of local arborist and submit them to chipdrop so they can make the connections they need.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:I’m tempted to order one to be put on my neighbor’s yard. He kept telling me to,”go back where you came from!”:rofl::grin:

8 Likes

I’ve been waiting for two years for a chip drop. I keep updating my request and no luck. The map feature shows that other people in my town have gotten drops. Not sure why I’m being missed.

4 Likes

Has anyone had success with this in a small/medium sized town? Their map indicated that there had been a few drops in the past year within 50mi of me, but they all were in a significantly larger town looked like. I suppose it’s just whether or not any tree services subscribe. With a larger population and more work in a bigger town, resulting in better odds…

2 Likes

Have you tried making a new account?

2 Likes

No but I’m going to. I want chips!! I can definitely use them

2 Likes

A couple other options to think about, rural areas have county road departments that go out and cut back brush from the road and usually chip it. You could also get lucky at a local dump if they are willing to let you shovel on a chip pile. Sometimes thinking outside the box yields great results! Happy hunting

1 Like

I find best results when you see someone chipping on your street be it power company or a private property hiring someone they always will say yes since it’s right down the street you can even be picky about the amount

4 Likes

The delivery trucks can’t easily make it to my house so they won’t deliver. I find sites like Craigslist or Nextdoor work great for us wanting the extra chips or for those needing to dispose of extras.

2 Likes

And if there’s a road improvement project near your house the county will give you a nice little pile of chips!

23 Likes

Thats one hell of a road improvement project. That looks like about 2 full days of chipping my friend, good for you! Hopefully you have a use for all that. Btw that looks like a good mix of smaller and larger material, its amazing how fast that stuff starts breaking down!

1 Like

It actually got larger after this photo was taken and two more smaller piles have been used by the veg garden and cabin. This pile will be used to line out orchard rows.

3 Likes