Freeze Damage Chart

Our low temps are 30 and 29 for Wednesday and Thursday. Hoping my plums, pears and blueberries survive.

10 Likes

Here it is 24F right now at 8:44 am But silver tip or green tip is where some are at here, most are not even there.Most years here we are good. I liked before I knew all this! Ignorance was bliss, now i worry!

4 Likes

Weā€™re expecting 33 and 32 and had a frost last night. Minor damage
to one nectarine. Everything I have is either in full bloom or shuck split.

1 Like

Ray, did you have damage last night? We dropped down to 30 degrees and I lost about 90% of my plums. Canā€™t tell yet about the apples and blueberries.

1 Like

Just that one nectarine, but now theyā€™ve changed the low thursday
to 31. Iā€™ve gotten wiped out two years in a row, and I hope like hell,
that it wonā€™t be three.
We had the warmest February in history, and itā€™s going to be our
downfall.

2 Likes

Thursdayā€™s trying to get a lot of people. Itā€™s our low day here in NC, too, and it has me worried. Right now theyā€™ve lowered it to 25.

I have all stages through full bloom out there. My Japanese and hybrid plums are the farthest along (with my almond, but the almond is a once-in-a-blue-moon harvest here, probably).

They just changed the forecast to 28! I hope we all go up!

Just checked my forecast. Low prediction tonight Tuesday 37, Wednesday 34, Thursday 30. Iā€™m getting hopeful a few of my first year blooms on the plums and pluots will escape.

1 Like

Iā€™m spraying KDL thursday morning, just in case.

1 Like

Maybe we should change the forum of this post to Reference.

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder, i will as well. Instructions say to do a light spray, last year i think i oversprayed some trees and it did not seem to be as effective

They just changed our forecast to patchy frost for tonight and tomorrow
night with a low of 32. Iā€™ll be spraying today, because the frost can be just
as damaging as low temps. We had a frost last sunday and I didnā€™t spray
because the temps never got below 34, and I suffered some damage. I
learned my lesson the hard way.

Iā€™m about to see what damage occurs when the temperature dips below freezing. It is 31 degrees at 4:35am. You know you have an addiction when your checking the weather this early.

1 Like

Frost on the car at 6 am. 30 degrees. Wishing the sun would hurry up and rise.

1 Like

We are a little above freezing now and I just did a walk through my fruit trees. My Orient, Kieffer, Hood, and Golden Boy appear to be undamaged. Iā€™m not so sure about my plums, pluots, and pomegranate.

I just went through my orchard and have minor damage on all of
my stone fruit. Glad I sprayed KDL yesterday morning and evening.
Now, I need to get through tonight.

1 Like

Round 2 tonight. I just checked the low predictions tonight. One source list 33 and the other list 28. Pretty wide spread.

Not official but my outside gauge shows 29 degrees.

Looks like I came through last night in fairly good shape. Looks
like KDL did the job.

1 Like

I like this chart. I think a lot of people assume if thereā€™s any petal showing - then 32F = death, but reality is far more complicated.

There is a peach in my neighborā€™s yard (unsure of variety). I just ordered mine so I have something to look forward to.

Last year, neighborā€™s tree was already in ā€œfirst bloomā€ stage when we had lows of 28, 20, 18, and 24 on consecutive days, a warmup, then another 20, 23, 21, 23, and 20 a week later. He didnā€™t get a single peach.

This year, heā€™s at the Calyx Red stage, maybe ā€˜first pinkā€™ - itā€™s on the edge of both. Weā€™ve gone as low as 27, and may get to 23/24 one night in the next week. I feel like he should have at least some crop on his tree, but I donā€™t know if there is a cumulative effect of multiple freezes or not.

1 Like