Freeze tonight

Already down to 40°. Winds calm. Dewpoint 25°. Skies clear.

Probably won’t be cold enough to adversely damage any flowers or fruit, but I am a bit worried about the peach scions I grafted a week ago.

Hopefully with the warmer weather this week, they’ve already started to knit enough to be OK.

4 Likes

Was about 34 or 35 overnight here last night and tonight is supposed to be the same… I also think Tuesday night is showing 32 here :man_facepalming:

Nothing looked harmed from last nights cold spell so I am hoping it is the same for tonight. I had a few grapes that were just put in the ground last month that got set back by a cold night with a froat last week.

3 Likes

Down to 36 now.

1 Like

Our overnight low looks to be climbing -we’re at 44 F at the moment- but the next two nights are supposed to drop into the teens!

2 Likes

35F at 5am here

2 Likes

So I got frost last night, definitely frost on my peach tree leaves. How bad is my peach loss likely to be? Most of my peaches are at shuck stage or past shuck stage.

1 Like

28 is 10% damage and 25 is 90% by the MSU table… hopefully it did not get too cold.

Low for me was high 30s, all ok for me this time.

2 Likes

Don’t know about where you guys are. Forecast for this coming week has 31F on Wed and Thurs.

I am not worry about fruit trees at that temp but my in ground and potted figs are not happy.

2 Likes

I’m more worried about my one tomato and one eggplant that are planted outside. Yes, they are already in ground. They were not doing too well indoors so I figured either definitely die inside or maybe die outside. With the frost I guess it’s definitely die outside.

1 Like

I’ve got apricots just starting to open flower buds and we are looking at 25F and 26F on consecutive nights. I don’t know what effect that will have on peach buds that are not quite showing pink.

2 Likes

I’m seeing articles now (MTPR) saying to expect several inches of new snow in the mountains and temps in the low teens F tonight and tomorrow. I am not amused!

5 Likes

I got to 32°F sometime overnight per my AcuRite, however, the sensor sits about 20’ higher than the orchard and veggie garden.

I have found that despite the lower-lying state of the orchard and garden, they are still on a slight slope, and the cold air continues draining into the neighbors yard.

So just based on observation of things that get killed or don’t over the years, my weather station only reads about a degree or so higher than where the garden area is.

1 Like

Do you have anything in bloom or at critical bud stages up there?

1 Like

Way too cold for tomatoes outside, even with no frost. We are going to stay in the 50s all week after Monday…that’s not good tomato weather!

3 Likes

A few apricots are just entering popcorn -most everything is hold back for the moment. If this is the worst of it it’s coming at a good time, but a week or ten days later would be nasty.

2 Likes

We got to 30 degrees the past two nights, but luckily it was cloudy. Some peaches at about half bloom, some plums at full bloom. All look ok, two more nights like this next week. Hopefully forecast stays cloudy at night.

3 Likes

Teens are iffy for the cots, but some will likely make it.

2 Likes

@Sparty,
In case you have not seen the chart. It is not exact but can give you some idea.

4 Likes

We were 26F last night, 3 nights in the 20’s forecast for later this week. Everything here is still dormant and we have a fresh inch of snow on the ground this a.m. after 2 inches yesterday.

3 Likes

We were forecast for 33 last night/this morning, so I put tarps on our blooming strawberries. We also have several apples at either full bloom or pink stages, pears at petal fall, peaches were at petal fall/shuck split, and plums at petal fall. So, a lot of vulnerable plants.

I put a temp sensor at ground level in the strawberry patch which is up the hill behind our house, and another down the hill by the barn about a foot off the ground.

To my chagrin, the temps were dropping too fast for my liking, by 9pm, it was already down to 33 or so. By 11pm, it was already 31, so I was thinking the strawbs will be toast even with the tarps on them. I stayed up until 2am, and it was 27.5 uphill and 28 downhill. I was thinking well, I might lose a lot more than strawberries.

I went to bed and woke up right at daybreak, and checked the downhill temp and it was already up to 30, but the low showed 25. My uphill sensor showed a low of 25.6 in the strawb patch. So, not good, they really blew this forecast.

It’s already up in the 50s at 10am, but I’m afraid what could’ve happened. I know not all blooms are necessary to produce fruit, but if it was 25, I may have lost a lot of possible fruit. I know the blooms were mostly 3ft and higher off the ground, so the temps should’ve been a bit higher. Enough to save them? I don’t know.

Add to that fact that there’s supposed to be a lot of rain tomorrow, and followed by cloudy, cool and somewhat showery weather next week. I’m worried that even if the apple blooms survived, the weather won’t be conducive for pollinators to do their work. We could also have a couple mornings near freezing as well. It’s supposed to be in the 60s today and tomorrow, so I hope the bees get out and hit the blooms.

I will have to get out and check the blooms to see what the damage is, how long should I wait to get a good evaluation? Makes me sick that this happened, but we are still a week from the last average freeze date.

2 Likes