Fruit in France during sept-oct

24 Likes

Bon appetit! Thanks for sharing.

C’est bon!

no green gages? they are from there. but perhaps they were ripe in early september.

Everything looks awesome, especially those barrels of olives. Nice pics of fresh produce. I loved those open markets in Paris in the mornings, along with the smell from all the bakeries. The chocolate filled croissants were my favorites. It’s a smorgasbord for all the senses walking those streets.

BTW, how is your francais fluency? I went about 14 years ago, and studied my French books alot, but it’s no match talking to an real person. I almost always asked, after trying some rudimentary French, “pardonnez moi, mai parlez vous anglais?”

Most of the folks did speak very good English, especially in the big cities, but it was a bit tougher out in the countryside.

I found this YouTube video of the place you’re moving, Uzes, looks very nice. Congrats.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pQFGjzyBlQw

Where’s the wine?! :smile:

Where are the mirabelles?

Of all those pictures the thing that caught my eye the most was the olives! But they all look great.

OMG, Mrsg47! Beautiful photos! I missed that you’re now in France? This must be quite the story, I’ sorry I missed it!! LOVE those purple artichokes. And about 20 other veggies (those mushrooms, omg).

Patty S.

Patty, have been in the south of France for a bit over a month. I have found a number of houses, as I am moving there. I have more photos to post but they are on my ipad. Will get it done! The pics are wonderful as is France. Lovely place to be. Aren’t the Cepes something else?

OMG, that is so crazy in a good way! Where in France are you settling in? What made you decide to pull the trigger? I am so excited for you!!

Patty S.

Trip report!

Mrs. G,

Some beautiful looking fruit. Can you confirm it tastes as good as it looks?

It looks like the peaches/nectarines on the sign sell for 3.69 Euros. Is that per kilo?

Itilton, here goes. A month away was a teaser. I have a lot on my plate. Uzes is a wonderful small city. It is a ‘walking city only’, cars are only allowed around the outer street ring boulevard, that was where the original medieval wall once stood. It is like a small Avignon.

Uzes turns out to be the Apricot capital of France. They have many peaches as well, but they love apricots! Grapes needless to say are everywhere. Moreso for vineyards. You cannot help but see grape vineyards everywhere. The Fig trees are so huge they are embarassing! Many over twenty feet tall and still loaded with figs! French love figs and the varieties are endless and very new to me, most varieties of fruit were. I have never seen so many different types of plums in all of my previous visits than this last trip.

I have found that the village houses are very narrow, so I will buy two and join them. I want a small terrace for light and growing fruit in large pots from Anduze.

I went to Nimes for the bullfights which were incredible. The pagentry is remarkable. The food is so good it is impossible to get a bad meal. All meals are cooked just for you, the individual. I will buy a car once I am there, driving is madness, but not as bad as in India, so I’m ok. The main hospital in Uzes is for geriatrics, so my husband, who had Alzheimers, has care right around the corner. For that I am very grateful.

The Plantane trees go on for miles along the roads and are the most romantic things you have ever seen. Simply beautiful. My house will be on the market (in Newport) very soon, as I cannot wait to move. All is coming right along!

8 Likes

Olpea the fruit is delicious and far sweeter than the fruit I grow. Why? The terroir, is always the answer. The soil and weather. The prices for fruit are high as they are prized. Yep, almost $4.59 a pound.

1 Like

Primarily the weather. South France has dry summers. Warm, dry, and sunny if properly managed works on almost any soil. Better than RI for sure.

What is the specific advantage of S France over CA?

You are so right. The Fog, demon humidity is the spoiler in RI, and late spring frosts. It is the hottest area in France.

Unpasturized cheese and wine with no chemicals.

2 Likes

no specific advantages. Southern France is a lot farther north, close or north of the 45th parallel. but it is close to a warm sea, and that is how it stays warm.

1 Like