Fruit in the News

I thought I found that new strawberry too as there’s quite a bit of hairs on the leaves of my local wild strawberries. After sharing pictures and corresponding with Kim Hummer I found out that I just have the very common F. vesca ssp. bracteata. :slight_smile:

However, I did end up finding the rare pale pink flowered form of bracteata (forma Helleri). She of course wanted me to send in seeds of those. I can’t wait until they bloom again this year to better photo document them. My cell phone pictures from last year were poor quality.

3 Likes

I do get misunderstood, but I disagree , and agree I do think many variables play a part here.
I do like Natives , and the the native Pollinator, & ecology they provide for.

There’s many strawberries for a reason , and I could have commented on how I personally feel,
but I do not have time for all that.

I do feel it is good to keep plants in there wild state as well as it always good for local flora, and fauna , and I do think the little ones are pretty good as well (I think we used to have some fraises)

I will copy & paste some facts , and a question

Do you like Getting strawberries Through out the season is a easy one ?
All through breeding from different environmental conditions from Sub species.
(even limes or lemons have like a few percentage of wild in them, but it contributes flavor I believe)

Quoted from the bottom link

The researchers will also be looking for new sources of the day-neutral habit that keeps today’s cultivars bearing fruit in cycles throughout the growing season. Until the late 1970s, commercial plants fruited for only a few weeks each season. Then Royce Bringhurst of the University of California at Davis collected a subspecies of F. virginiana that blooms out of season in Utah’s Wasatch Range. Genes from that mountain clone revolutionized the industry.

https://agresearchmag.ars.usda.gov/1999/sep/berry/

I also see a Use for berries or genes that have no benefit if it helps with research understanding Genes.

I can see a problem with some things though like bringing unwanted traits to a native species
So Yes I understand it is not so Simple, but there should be a reasoning behind a objection which you provided, so many Great tasting strawberries, and I thought I should say what I had to say, but yes it’s more complicated then that.

1 Like

I would say that for the purpose of breeding hybrids between species, like the discussion on raspberries and strawberries, something like this that has a different amount of chromosomes may be useful to someone like @Caesar looking for new possibilities.

2 Likes

Yes OP I didn’t want to stray off topic , but I did add another reply under quote
(I think as long as I put something in the news it doesn’t veer off too much, and can be ignored by people not caring about genes of strawberries.

I like looking here for fruit, and cultures in the news .

https://www.fondazioneslowfood.com/en/

(there is also slow food some news about foods throughout the world
it is easier to find on search took seconds
then above link, and I glad I found fondaz Zione slow food. in notes , b/c I lost it. )

Blockquote

I thought I found that new strawberry too as there’s quite a bit of hairs on the leaves of my local wild strawberries. After sharing pictures and corresponding with Kim Hummer I found out that I just have the very common F. vesca ssp. bracteata. :slight_smile:

However, I did end up finding the rare pale pink flowered form of bracteata (forma Helleri). She of course wanted me to send in seeds of those. I can’t wait until they bloom again this year to better photo document them. My cell phone pictures from last year were poor quality.

If interested Here is a article with more science on the genes I had it opened but have not read it.

https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2263&context=usdaarsfacpub

1 Like

Tuesday Night on the Late Show with Seth Myers, in his pseudo-news bit “A Closer Look”, the word ‘quince’ was mentioned 3 times and an actual prop quince fruit was tossed around. That is the first time I have ever heard quince mentioned on a regular network TV show.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Agreed. But people I actually like have told me they like crunchy peaches. It’s tough competing for the harvest against jackholes.

1 Like

It’s amazing lots of stuff hasn’t sneaked in in backpacks or pockets of illegal border crossers?

1 Like

The BBC did a write-up on the Pawpaw and there are a few links to click on for a Ted Talk and info about a restaurant.

5 Likes

Parasitic wasp finally OKed for release in Oregon.

The article says the wasps can be up to 2/3 effective (reduce SWD by 65%)

7 Likes

Oregon is also working on other species too. Oregon State University professor releases destructive moths, wasps into orchards

4 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
5 Likes
2 Likes

They require payment to read the story. NOT happening.

1 Like

I x-ed out of that and was able to read through.

2 Likes

“When an entire [olive] tree is cut down, the thieves typically cut it up and load the pieces into a pickup truck, selling the wood to lumber yards or firewood vendors…”

I believe that olive wood is also used for charcoal, notably that which is used with the hookahs at Persian restaurants.

The story
claims it’s climate change
causing high olive oil prices and thefts…

but I’d say it has a lot simpler explanation: poor people need to eat and
inflation (caused by governments spending money they don’t have) means some ‘robbers’ resort to “taking” from others to get by.

4 Likes