Fruit Tree Grafting

Gearing up for my first attempt at doing a Frankentree which will have exclusively University of Minnesota apples. I’m looking at 8 different varieties.

4 Likes

Wealthy and Haralson are a couple I have on my Frankentree. Definitely worth having.

3 Likes

8 is a good number if the tree is large enough. I have 8 varieties on a couple, and 10 on the original. I realize some folks have many more than that.

1 Like

It’s an extremely healthy M7 tree that’s been in my care for the last 9 years, probably 6 plus inches in diameter at its base.

2 Likes

Certain sizes are more easy to graft to…including those in the 2 or 4 inch thickness…and under 8 feet tall…but you should be able to make your tree over. Good luck.

I have 10 possible limbs to work with and it’s a very healthy tree to work on I believe.

4 Likes

Looks fine to me.
The term ‘apical dominance’ comes to mind. The tree loves to send most of it’s vigor to the top most limb. (So consider putting scions of more vigorous varieties on the bottom and less vigorous ones on the top.)

4 Likes

That is a very good suggestion, Ive researched each of the scions vigor and now have a better idea of where I’ll decide on the location for their placement for grafting on the tree.

1 Like

Sometimes I end up putting them on the limbs they fit best on though. :grinning:

1 Like