Fruit Tree Grant Program

I really have no input here, but wanted to comment that this thread was an interesting read all the same. My city is more concerned about everything looking neat and orderly (ever hear the theme song to “Weeds”? describes my city perfectly) and would never endorse messy fruit trees for it’s residents. The city is very active in enforcing city rules, and loves to issue citations for any violations. I’m sure if they could stop me from planting so many fruit trees, they would. AFAIK though I’m not breaking any of their petty ordinances. I have seem them looking at my yard, although have made no contact with me. My neighbors are great! I have asked them what they think and most love it, or at least say it’s your yard, do as you will!

This is a pretty selfless program. You are promoting the growing of fruit trees, at the cost of additional pest pressure. I’ve bitten my tongue before and held back from offering plants to neighbors for exactly that reason. I’m much more willing to give anything to co-workers and family that don’t live on my doorstep. Neighbors will just have to settle for getting the fruit :smile:

In terms of varieties, I would add Priscilla (preciousness and reliably productive) and Sundance (to have a yellow apple), both of which are resistant to all 4 of the usual apple issues. On the pear front, Asians (Korean Giant and Shinko for FB resistance) would be good due to early bearing. When I talk to people about growing fruit, they are often surprised by how long it takes. They are coming from the perspective of planting tomato plants, and even that takes a lot of patience- waiting months and months.

[quote=“BobVance, post:22, topic:2716”]
When I talk to people about growing fruit, they are often surprised by how long it takes. They are coming from the perspective of planting tomato plants, and even that takes a lot of patience- waiting months and months.
[/quote] Amazing and true! “What? You wait years?”.

Maybe you can enlarge the grant to give that spraying farmer next door to you a tree or two so he can enjoy too
:wink:

Mike

1 Like

I love your passion Cityman, have you considered organizing and planting a community orchard? Where I live a group of volunteers organized a small heritage village / park with an ever expanding fruit tree orchard and experimental garden. The local schools use it for educational purposes and it’s open to the public for all sorts of activities. We took a group of boy scouts there for a service project one year, we pulled weeds and planted trees then pressed cider right from the established apple trees, they had a blast! You could plant many different varieties of fruit where people can come and learn about all the wonderful varieties not available in the grocery stores, talk about sharing your passion and leaving a legacy.