Fruiting foundation plants (for next to house) zone 6a

Hi Everyone,

I recognize that likely most things can be planted close to a house if maintained properly, but was curious for thoughts on options that can be planted directly next to a house with low risk of impacting the home foundation etc. Do currents, gooseberries, honeyberries and aronia seem like good options for low-risk foundation plants? I saw a thread on this topic that noted currents/gooseberries and honeyberries Attempting Haskaps on north west facing foundation planting zone 7b - General Fruit Growing - Growing Fruit.

Would goumi also work or is it too vigorous?

1 Like

in my example I had a narrow strip that was only 3 feet wide. I ended up going with haskaps and strawberries. I expect all of the Ribes (currants and gooseberries) would be fine this close as well, but I would prefer to give them at least 3 feet off the foundation if I could for growing room. I doubt goumi roots would impact the foundation, but again, I would give them more room and plant them at least 4-5 feet away for growing room because they can get pretty large.

1 Like

@Bigmike1116 Thank you for your thoughts and for starting the original thread!

I live where huge trees thrive and many homes have them very close without having problems with foundations so I wonder if fruit trees of moderate size could ever be an issue structurally.

I’m in Z6 (maybe pushing 7 if this winter becomes the trend) and use my south and eastern walls to grow my apricot trees because it is the only place I can productively grow them. I train them to an informal espalier shape keeping the branches open and close to the walls.

Before I did that I grew fig trees in the same location, and even tomatoes against the south wall. Walls are a resource to the fruit grower and I don’t think you can plant anything for fruit that will cause damage except what might be created by shade and more moisture on the walls or even the roof as a result.

I planted the first cot against the wall about 20 years ago. No problems yet, but then, my house is made with concrete blocks covered with stucco. Frequent painting isn’t required so I can have the trees growing against the walls without worrying about the hassle of frequent painting. .

3 Likes

@Cgardener

I would stick with 4 oclocks , daffodils, peony, and daylillies. People like me have termidor next to the foundation of the house as a barrier to termites. Those perimeter chemicals are nothing you want to eat. Grow some beautiful flowers if you like there its a perfect spot to do it. Everyone i know uses round up etc. Next to their house.

2 Likes

@alan Thank you for your thoughts. This makes sense that likely the foundation should be alright and that microclimates can be valuable. You raised good points about access for painting and moisture factors (which will be an issue that I will need to deal with periodically as I have a wood house).

1 Like

@clarkinks This is a good point that treatments like termidor would possibly be taken up by the plants or otherwise contaminate the fruit and shouldn’t be consumed.

1 Like