Fruiting Mulberry species

Of the mulberry species (click for list), much research has been done on Morus notabilis and others related to the cultivation of silk worms. Far less has been done with fruiting mulberries.

The USDA repository for mulberries is at NCGR Davis. These species are represented in their 73 accessions:
Morus alba (Russian Mulberry)
Morus australis (Korean mulberry)
Morus cathayana (Hua Sang)
Morus macroura (Shahtoot)
Morus nigra (Black Mulberry)
Morus rubra (Red aka American Mulberry)

Perhaps there are other fruiting species (not hybrids, not cultivars) of interest to members here? Please add your suggestions in a post below.

Research has been done in the determination of Mulberry species by genetic testing of leaf tissue. It is not necessary to obtain an entire sequence. Instead, SSR (simple sequence repeat) markers are measured to obtain genetic profiles ā€“ also termed genetic fingerprints. The cost per sample is a fraction of the cost for a full sequence.

Here are the relevant papers Iā€™ve found for Morus SSR markers. If after reading these you have further suggestions please add them in a post below.

Mathithumilan, Balachandran, Niteen Narharirao Kadam, Jyoti Biradar, Sowmya H. Reddy, Mahadeva Ankaiah, Madhura J. Narayanan, Udayakumar Makarla, Paramjit Khurana, and Sheshshayee Madavalam Sreeman. 2013. ā€œDevelopment and Characterization of Microsatellite Markers for Morus Spp. and Assessment of Their Transferability to Other Closely Related Species.ā€ BMC Plant Biology 13 (December): 194.

Mathi Thumilan, B., R. S. Sajeevan, Jyoti Biradar, T. Madhuri, Karaba N Nataraja, and Sheshshayee M. Sreeman. 2016. ā€œDevelopment and Characterization of Genic SSR Markers from Indian Mulberry Transcriptome and Their Transferability to Related Species of Moraceae.ā€ PloS One 11 (9): e0162909.

10 Likes

In addition to the accessions at NCGR Davis, I have acquired these specimens for testing.

Labeled Claimed species Source
Big White (none) Rolling River
Black Mulberry Morus nigra Walter Andersen
Contorted Mulberry Morus bombycis (syn. australis) One Green World
Dwarf Black Mulberry Morus nigra One Green World
Dwarf Everbearing Mulberry Morus nigra AgriStarts
Illinois Everbearing Mulberry Morus alba x rubra One Green World
Kokuso Morus latifolia (syn. cathayana) Rolling River
Long Mulberry Tree "Pakistan" Morus nigra AgriStarts
Pakistan Mulberry Morus macroura One Green World
Red Mulberry Morus rubra Cold Stream Farm
River View Russian Mulberry Morus alba Rolling River
Shangri La (none) Rolling River
Tehama (none) Rolling River
Wellington Black Mulberry Morus sp. One Green World
13 Likes

Hereā€™s the plants Iā€™d like to test from NCGR Davis

Labeled Claimed species Source
Black Mulberry Morus macroura DMOR 9
Hunza White Seedless Morus alba DMOR 46
Kaester Morus nigra DMOR 42
Kangwon No. 3 Morus cathayana DMOR 14
Kokuso No. 20 Morus alba DMOR 13
Middleton Morus alba DMOR 54
Pakistan Mulberry Morus macroura PI 594915 / DMOR 15
Shah Tut Morus nigra DMOR 41
Thomson Morus alba DMOR 24
6 Likes

Kaester is M. nigra. Itā€™s pretty much identical to Noir of Spain and Black Beauty.

5 Likes

DMOR 9 looks quite interestingā€¦

Scott

1 Like

Yes. All the NCGR Davis mulberry specimens were genetically profiled in 2012 by Malli Aradhya. The morphology photos and measurements are mainly from Jenny Smith.

I agree. Iā€™m intrigued that it lists it as hardy to zone 5.

1 Like

The zone information is from Seed Savers and should be taken with a grain of salt. Otherwise I agree it is an interesting specimen.

1 Like

I agree about the grain of salt. Hope springs eternal, though.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a list of the M. macroura specimens at the NCGR Davis repository. Note also that One Green World lists their ā€œPakistanā€ as M. macroura.

https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/view2.aspx?dv=web_taxonomyspecies_view_accessionlist&params=:taxonomyid=312851

1 Like

5 Likes

Hereā€™s two useful papers by Mathithumilan regarding SSR markers for mulberry. Both are open access and provide data in spreadsheet format.

Development and characterization of microsatellite markers for Morus spp . and assessment of their transferability to other closely related species | BMC Plant Biology | Full Text

Development and Characterization of Genic SSR Markers from Indian Mulberry Transcriptome and Their Transferability to Related Species of Moraceae

And hereā€™s the relevant papers that cite those papers ā€¦

Comparative transcriptomics and comprehensive marker resource development in mulberry

(Saeed, Baranwal, and Khurana 2016)

Functional annotation of mulberry (Morus spp.) transcriptome

(Rukmangada, Sumathy, and Naik 2019)

The plants I ordered for testing started arriving today.

Tissue culture Mulberries from AgriStarts (via Wellspring) in 2" containers:
2 x Morus ā€˜Pakistanā€™
2 x Morus sp. ā€˜Dwarf Everbearingā€™

1 potted + 1 large caliber bareroot from One Green World:
M. alba ā€˜Contortedā€™
M. macroura ā€˜Pakistanā€™

10 Likes

Today I received 3 more ~1 gallon size from One Green World, tagged:
Morus alba ā€˜Wellingtonā€™,
Mulberry ā€˜Dwarf Blackā€™,
Morus alba x rubra ā€˜Illinois Everbearingā€™.

11 Likes

These arrived from Rolling River Nursery in Oakland today with the following labels:

M. alba ā€˜Big Whiteā€™
M. latifolia ā€˜Kukosoā€™
M. alba ā€˜River View Russianā€™
M. alba ā€˜Shangri Laā€™
Morus spp. ā€˜Tehamaā€™

9 Likes

rolling river nursery nice looking. the wellington seems to very similar to IE. in terms of flavor and fruit. i see the listed claim cultivar is different. hoping to hear more about if they are the same or different.

2 Likes

There are at least two ā€œWellingtonā€ circulating in the nursery trade. One is M. alba and the other is a hybrid. Iā€™m curious to find out about the specimen at RR.

3 Likes

i bought wellington from onegreenworld and rollingrivers i ate the fruit last summer but there was only a few to compare. i hope to hear more from others who has a mature in ground tree than my potted.

2 Likes

Iā€™m curious how my Tsarigradska mulberry (morus nigra), also known as Stambol mulberry or Constantinople mulberry would compare? I would have to get one to Richard, which is impossible right now. As far as I know it is the only Tsarigradska mulberry in the USA, well besides my other one :slight_smile:
One so far has only produced fig like leaves and the other only spade leaves.

This one was 2nd leaf, it didnā€™t grow much the 1st year. Last year it didnā€™t grow at all. Now going on 3rd leaf it is still this small. I figured it out, it was too wet. It does not like being too wet. Iā€™m going to keep it under an overhang to control moisture this year.

These seedlings were from a tree growing in zone 6 Bulgaria, more like 6b. Iā€™m 5b/6a!
It is the only nigra growing in that zone. One lone nigra. The tree is old, it developed a fungal infection and started growing male flowers and self pollinated. Thus how I got seeds. Thus the same genetics as the mother tree, reshuffled. Here is an article through Google translate about the mother tree.There was a better article, but it is gone.
https://translate.google.com/translaā€¦hernica-556310

7 Likes