Fruiting Mulberry species

I haven’t been here for a while, and just found my hands with the fruits here. I named this accession for now Black Prince like, because I found an Ukrainian video with very similar fruits including the color inside. I took a screenshot from that video. I’ll try to find it and post a link to the video too

2 Likes

5 Likes
5 Likes

Yes, I think it is Black Prince. I don’t know of any mulberries that look like that. Hopefully I can graft the pieces successfully. Still too cold here for grafting. I stored the scion for now.

2 Likes

Here’s another variety i need to get :slight_smile: black prince

1 Like

Easier for you than us here in the states?

2 Likes

Maybe, but Ukcraine is not in the EU

1 Like

I got it from California. I have two scion. Luckily mulberries are very easy to graft.
I should be able to grow it. If not I’ll beg for more! I have done 7 mulberry grafts, all took. So cool than with say peaches where 60% of the grafts fail. Part of it is I have to hold them so long and peach scion just doesn’t hold up well.

1 Like

Hope they are really easy to graft.
I am really curious about the silk hope grafts i did in the beginning of the month. Unfortunately due to the covid quarantine in my country i can not check them so soon. My orchard is 40min away from my home :frowning:

3 Likes

I have done a lot of grafts and no doubt that helped me.

I use cleft grafts because I like the ugly scar. :slight_smile: I like knowing where the graft is at least for a few years. Often with time they smooth out. Sometime splice or whip and tongue are so clean. I cut one off once while pruning. So I try to use cleft or wedge type graft.
This is on Russian alba rootstock.

I think this is whip graft. A side branch formed and i wanted it to go in that direction, so I cutoff the rest of the scion. On Russian rootstock.

3 Likes

Nice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All prepped for assembly-line repotting of the Mulberry arrivals.

9 Likes

Very nice Richard :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Marta, Do you know where I can get some cuttings of the Black Prince Mulberry?
I am expanding my orchard and would love to add this.

1 Like

I had a hard time grafting Black Prince, but I did get one good take, even fruiting.

7 Likes

Ah yes, Black prince, черный принц one of the more common cultivars in Russia and Ukraine. In "mulberry ( MORUS L.): ITS REALITY AND FUTURE IN UKRAINE "-text that I found probably in researchgate it is told that it is one of the “anonymous found local forms” , so not produced in any sericulture program. I have four ones that go into ground this fall, now they just wait in pots. It can be bought from EU, at least one man in Lithuania sells me them, and he is quite reliable, I’ve visited his “200 mulberry trees in a field”-operation in Kaunas.

Black prince is only one large berried, and not even the most famous one in eastern block. For my part, I am in southern Finland trialling mulberries as I get them and I read in one Russian forum that it can take Moscow winters without large damage.
Most famous and “hyped” ones are Shelli no.150 and Galicija-1 (or just Galicija), the latter was produced in the Merefensky Institute of Sericulture, author Galina I.Babaeva.
It is the most productive and large berried of the Morus albas that I’ve ever seen. Well it is a " omplex interspecies hybridization and followed by multiple individual selection among the hybrid plantations of Italian descent.", whatever that means. Those I can buy from Lithuania by the bucketloads since they are micropropagated, and it seems some Polish nurseries already sell that, so get your own! Though it is one of the less hardy of the Ukrainian ones, still the vigor outperforms the winters damage easily.

Shelli no.150 is the most overall best performer apparently, good producing, big berry, transports better and taste is best of all. Leonid Prokazin, a mulberry enthousiast that has trialled over 150 cultivars in Ukraine, bought the small plants some 20 years ago from Poltavan priest, and since the plant was so succesfull, began to spread it around.
I’ll include pictures of both Galicija and Shelli (NOT Shelley, mind you) and If I can I’ll add also one or two badly translated texts of Prokazin and others. And I can’t read even Russian, so all this is done by translating…the hours I spend on obscure Russian and Ukrainian forums and sites :smiley:
EDIT: The first two pics are Shelli, then Galicija and last pic there is three cultivars, the rightmost ones are Shelli.

galicjapicture (68) Mulberries Prokazin Leonid Ilyich.doc (326 KB)

15 Likes

Definitely interested in these cultivars. I am in Europe, can you tell me in which nurseries I can buy them?

1 Like

I don’t know any certain ones, but for Galicija (Or Galicia) it seems when I, for example search with Polish translater mulberry, as in “morwa galicja”, it brings many results for Polish nurseries. Though many of them claim that it is Morus nigra…the same old mistake again with the alba-nigra :frowning: . I’d think that Germany and the Netherlands would bring up nurseries with similar search methods.
The contact I have in Lithuania is only one man with other main job, and thus I am hesitant to just give his contact all around, even though he can provide all of my previously named cultivars. But I’ll ask him if he wants more customers :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks Janne

1 Like

I’ll be in eastern Europe this summer, any more information on location of these trees for viewing?

1 Like