Fukushu kumquat tree

My grafted Fukushu kumquat tree.

Has outgrown its bucket light encloser.

3 Likes

Steve, why not graft directly to Poncirus or Seville without the intergraft?

2 Likes

Kumquats grafted to Seville sour orange usually if not always die from compatibility problems. Most citrus fruits are sweeter when grown on Seville stock than any other roots. Fukushu kumquats are borderline on sweet, so I want to push the extra sugar through Seville roots. Seville rootstock also makes smaller fruit. Most of the flavor is in the rind. The smaller the fruit the higher the % of fruit is rind. I have a Fukushu kumquat on Flying dragon. Flying dragon produces the same as Poncirus trifoliata. I have a Poncirus trifoliata in my yard and 2 Seville sour seedlings, so I took 2 PT buds and grafted each of the Seville seedlings for Fukushu bud grafting a year later.

My Fukushu on Flying dragon is 15 months old since bud expansion.

1 Like

Here are my kumquats on sour orange that i mentioned in an other thread. Left is a Marumi and right a Nagami seedling, still juvenile and thorny. No sign of incompatibility so far

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for sharing. I am still waiting for my second PT/Seville to start growing. I will go ahead and try another direct graft with Fukushu. Let me know how the fruit taste when it comes in.

Fukushu kumquat is a hybrid kumquat x mandarin, you can see it in the leaves which are not kumquat like narrow leaves. It grafts like most citrus rather than true kumquats which are difficult to graft. Fukushu is easy to tee bud, true kumquat, not so much IMHO.

1 Like