G.Madewell Nursery Review

We are way off topic, easy to do, I guess :joy: This would best be discussed in other areas of the forum. Nice buck though :+1:

You eat honey I imagine? Are honeybees invasive…they’re certainly not native.

I don’t like Tree of Heaven. But invaders come in more damaging forms in the overall scheme of things.

One would think ‘tree lovers’ would love all trees, not hold prejudices against some for colored bark or smelly sap. But I digress.

I’d probably pay G Madewell Nursery a visit in person before placing a large order–but a trial likely to give good result. You don’t know if the trees are on MM106 or MM111 or seedlings…nor if they’re budded…or the percent that are mislabeled. Those might be bigger questions than if they’re legit and a good value.

3 Likes

Seems their FAQ points to grafts for their fruit trees. I read through the website before I ordered.

But you are right still don’t know about the feet and can only hope not mislabeled. We’ll see what it’s all about when I receive my order after October first.

Thanks for the reply :+1:

1 Like

I plan on ordering in Oct… the 6 month warranty doesnt do much for me… likely they will arrive in full dormancy from a cooler and 6 months after that will be March for me. Likely it will be 2027-2029 or so before i even know if they are true to name. I have no idea how they can sell grafted trees for $5 each and offer free shipping… i guess the why is more confusing than the how. $15 each would be more than fair.

Here is what i plan on ordering for now…
Ambrosia Pear
Alderman Plum
Bing Cherry
Golden Jubilee Peach
Governor Wood Cherry
NorthStar Cherry
Honeysweet Pear
Moonglow Pear
BlueGold Blueberry
Apricot Hedge

Will i be upset if they arent true to name? probably not.

Heres a guy that got pretty mad at Stark Bros…Seven years after his purchase… Another fellow got sent the wrong peaches by Gurneys…

3 Likes

I was looking at the appricot hedge, figured if I could get them up by the house I may have a chance of success from munching deer. I still would need some type of low fencing or trunk guarding. Since we have an abundance of the usual suspect critters (mice, rabbits, etc…). Curious to see what they look like when you receive your order.

Thanks for the reply :+1:

1 Like

My guess is that they are Manchurian (Bush Apricots). I guess a bush could be a hedge? I am probably going to put them in my pollinator haven… i think they bloom early and worst case scenario they are pretty to look at and early forage for bees.

I inquired of a nursery operator whose father-in-law used to own a 50 acre tree farm in Rock Island, TN. Says they sold it in 5 acre tracts. One or two buyers planned to sell fruit trees.
But the name Madewell didn’t ring any bells.
Still, most of the folks in the area (Warren, White, DeKalb counties) are honest, though some are rather poorly educated.
(Or, maybe those factors are connected in the times we live in.)

1 Like

For apricot bush, my only hope is on the north side of the house for a row or two in the front of the house on the west side. I already know if I set them out anywhere away from the house, it’ll be like ringing the dinner bell for all the deer we have around here. For that matter the deer eat my wife’s roses in the front of the house so maybe that’s not even an option. Deer are thick here, they should issue more tags.

2 Likes

As of this morning the website is suspended.

There’s still the phone number up…CONTACT US.

Plus the email address.

Having had 5 domains over more than a twenty year period…unable, incompetent, or other compromises from the person that got hired to build or host…could very easily be the problem.

Could be anything.

this is what it looks like on Firefox… not sure what other browsers look like.

Looks like the host suspended the domain to me.

?

https://gmadewellnursery.com

still works for me.

2 Likes

Works again for me this morning… looks like they changed the top memo and spelled the word ‘accepting’ orders wrong. And made things available to purchase.

Just got off the phone with Mr Madewell… likely wont be carrying Ambrosia Pear or Moonglow etc this year.

The ‘guy he gets them from’ is getting up in years and quitting.

However he said he is going to call around and try to get them back.

So… somehow this guy buys them from someone else and still makes a profit by selling them for $4.95 each.

Amazing.

Someone out there grafting trees for $2-3?

2 Likes

Probably…poor folk too proud to sign up for a givermint check.

1 Like

Adding a Golden Jubilee peach.

If its true to name it seems its a cross of Elberta and Greensboro made in 1926 at the NJ Experiment Station.

Found this review from 1979 in the NY times and the author grows it… says it resembles Elberta but its larger.

I spoke with Mr. Madewell earlier today, to confirm my order.

1 Like

Did you order Honeysweet pear? If so did you confirm whether it’s grafted and to what?

If you already have the info I don’t want to overload them with more calls.

Thanks

1 Like

I did order honeysweet pear, my order is listed on the first post of this thread. However I did NOT ask Mr. Madewell about any grafting or what rootstock(s).

1 Like

I found one pic of an order that someone received and was happy with their order. This was from Jan 2023.